Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legato Directives 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am trying to setup legato (5.7) directives to only backup specific directories on my NT clients, this is what I have for the directive in question.<br>&lt;&lt; &quot;D:\mssql7\backup&quot; &gt;&gt;<br>+compressasm: .<br>&lt;&lt; &quot;D:\ims&quot; &gt;&gt;<br>+compressasm: .<br><br>It is still backing up all drives and directories??

Directives is for excluding files..<br>Do U still have the selection of &quot;ALL&quot; on<br>the clients ?<br><br>If you don have to any folders to spec. its <br>easier to spec. them one by one under each<br>client.<br>

The directive just tells it to do something different for the directories in the directive.

It will use software compression for the directories you have above, and use the defaults for the client on everything else that you have set to back up.

in the client config is where you put the directories you want to back up. if you only want to back up thoes directories, put them in the client config.

B.Wolf

Firstly, +compressasm is telling Legato to use software compression not skip that directory. For compression, if you have Hardware compression on your tape device use that it is better. I tend to get 75-100GB per 35/70GB DLT4 tape. If you want to backup aonly a secific directory, AVEDIS is correct, simply put it in your save set field. i.e. d:\mssql7\backup

Also, if you want to skip a directory, use this as an example Directive that I finally got working
<< &quot;D:\&quot; >>
+skip: apps

(make sure +skip is offset 5 spaces. Directives are also case sensitive. Many of us who work with NT forget that Legato was originally UNIX based and ported to NT. All NT directories are lowercase even if explorer show an upper case (there are exceptions). [sig][/sig]

Do not forget to always start such a &quot;global&quot; directive (the ones that you define via the NW administrator) with
an empty line. It this is missing, the directive will be misinterpreted.

It is much better to always copy an existing directive to a new one and edit it there than to create a total new
one from scratch.

[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back