Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legato DBO (DiskBackup Option) "Best Practices" questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

T1rma

Vendor
Jan 20, 2005
US
Hello,

I have a few DBO questions:

1) What are the "best practices" for DBO and is their a official document out there?

2) How should the disk be lay'd out for a DBO Tier 2 using 6TB?

3) How many devices should be created in NetWorker?

4) What percentage of the raw size disk size should be created as an actual device?

BTW, the NetWorker server is a on HP-UX server and the CLARiiON CX500 will be hosting the DBO.

I appreciate any help and thanks!!

Regards,--AR

Hi arehal,

please find the answers below.

1) What are the "best practices" for DBO and is their a official document out there?
What do you want to achieve? Saving to a disk is nothing but saving to a directory. To my knowldge, there is no such document. On the other hand, you may define the disk as a big cache via the staging policy and move the save set data finally to tape. In this case, you just have to ensure that you will never fill up the device(s).

2) How should the disk be lay'd out for a DBO Tier 2 using 6TB?
One device could already be enough. Each one should use its own filesystem. This is not mandatory but it is easier to cope with.

3) How many devices should be created in NetWorker?
If you need more pools, you must use at least one (advanced) file devices for each pool.

4) What percentage of the raw size disk size should be created as an actual device?
No raw device will be used as you will write to a standard file system's directory.

Hey arehal,

Dont know if this link will work, but it is to a document on EMC's powerlink website ( powerlink.emc.com ) titled

Backup-to-Disk Guide with EMC NetWorker Disk Backup Option (DBO)

if it dose not, login to powerlink and do a search for it...

Good Luck!

Thanks SurfRat6,

That document gave me the specifically what I was looking for i.e RAID Groups, Block sizes and helped with EMC recommendations.

The only filesystem it did not mention was "JFS". As the NetWorker server will be HP-UX 11.i, I need to know what the maximum filesystem size is that the O/S will support.

Cheers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back