Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legato Configuration Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnerjoe

IS-IT--Management
Oct 22, 2005
US
Hi All,

I will be backing up 5 servers and about 20 clients all Windows except one Linux machine.

I have Legato 7.6_64 SP4, HP 1U server running Windows 2008_64 and HP Storage Works MSL2024 (24 Tape) Tape Library with Bar Code labels.

I have done the following on the server; I'm confused about "Pools" and wondering if I'm missing anything else:

Created Two Groups
Desktops and Servers

Created Two Schedules “Backup schedule will be Full once a month and INCR all other days."
Full 1st Thursday of the Month
Full 1st Saturday of the Month

Created Browse / Retention Policy

Pools - Pretty confused on pools, do i need to do anything for the INCR backups?

Full Pool I activated both my groups Desktops / Servers

Clients
Set Appopriate Group
Set Browse / Retention policy
Set Appropriate Schedule
Pool - ??? Do I set the pool to Full here?

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Joseph White

The "pools" attribute for the client is pretty new (since NW 7.6.1).
It will override the usual NW pool settings. However, is not necessary to use it.

The pool is nothing else but a logical data sink. For your scenario, it does not really make sense to use more than 1 pool (Default?) unless you would have different types of media (disk/tape) and different retention policies.

Hello,

Ok unchecked my Groups on the FULL Pool and deselected the Full pool inside the Client configuration. Don't see a way to un-select the schedule in the Client configuration but the client has the same schedule selected as the Group that the Client belongs to.

Next thing that looks wrong is Volume <unlabeled>. If the Library Properties are set as they are below, shouldn't that auto label that Volume entry?

\\.\Tape0 Slot Volume Bar Code Pool
1 <UNLABELED> AA0001L5
" " "
22 <UNLABELED> AA0022L5

Library Properties
Configuration Tab

<Checked> Auto Media Management
<Checked> Bar Code Reader
<Checked> Match Bar Code Labels

Thanks,

Joe

Be careful when defining attributes - do NOT select what is possible but ONLY what is necessary.
Usually one does not select the schedule for a group but only for the client. The group's schedule will override the client's one. But this can also be confusing.
On the other hand, the schedule does not really matter right now.

If you start a group, you should see an 'Alert' which tells you that NW "is waiting for a writable media from pool on storage node x". If you see this, NW should really label, mount and write a tape. If not, then there is of course no need to process a media.

To avoid other problems so far, let me suggest ...
- You enable the pool "Full" first. Yes, by default it is NOT enabled!
- You run the following command from the server: save -b Full C:\ (This saves C:\ to a media from the pool 'Full')
Be careful - NW will insist on the proper pool name. Upper/lower case matters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back