Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legato and Solaris client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bse1969

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2004
US
Quick question. I have a Windows Legato 7.2 NW server. Can he backup a Solaris server and what client do I need for that?

no problem, just download the networker for solaris and install only the client and man pages.

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.

Doe sit require a license on the server or will I be ok as long as I have enough client licenses?

if you have enough clients, then no licenses are required.

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.

Not quite correct, you do need a ClientPak for Unix license
in order to backup a Solaris client from a Windows backupserver. Windows server can backup Windows clients, Unix can backup Unix and so on, but if you want to backup a client that runs a different OS than the server you need the appropriate ClientPak license.

Cheers!
Maverick

That's what I thought. Thanks for the help.

bse1969,

What setup do you have with Networker Server and Solaris client? Is solaris a storage node? Fiber? San? I ask because a co-worker of mine is having the hardest time getting solaris to backup correctly using storage node.

Thanks.

Don't have it yet. I have a Windows 2003 SP1 NW server. I had been asked if I could backup a Solaris client which prompted the question. We have a potiential client apparently that has a Solaris server.

Keep me posted on the your Solaris client's setup. Thanks.

Just to clarify things a bit; You need only 1 ClientPak for Unix license, regardless of the number of clients. You need this license to unlock the feature to backup Unix clients to a Windows backupserver, you don´t need 1 license per client. You do need to have enough Client Connections licenses though.
Just so people don´t get confused in the licensing jungle. =)

Cheers!
Maverick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back