Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legato and NetWare 6.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2003
US
Anyone using Legato to backup NetWare 6.5 servers over the LAN?

I am having some problems with timeouts, the backups start okay and then fail due to timeout.. Have tried TSAFS and TSA600 and it responds the same.

Thanks.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

sorry - only ever used legato once and even then the netware side was only a remote agent - main box was a unix box and the tape drive was controlled by an nt box.

needless to say it didnt work well.

This setup is similar. HP UX is where the tapes are and also the main legato software. The Netware side is a remote agent. It worked great on NetWare 4.2, but since upgrading to NW6.5 it's been a pain in the rear. This is what I see on the NetWare server when it fails:

RCMDSRV: /DEV/TCP TOO MANY CONNECTIONS

I've seen notes that suggest that I'm using up too many licenses, which doesn't make sense because it's MLA.

Marvin

Have had an ongoing saga with Networker and NetWare. I have now got my 1Gb connected hosts backing up at >10 Mb/s so I am hapy with that. I ahve done so uch it is hard to start telling you where to look. I have found that Networker is very DNS dependant, so look at doing reverse lookups of your netware boxes from the Networker server. Also make sure you change the order of the rpcnet.cfg (can't check the name of the file as I am at home but it's in the NSR folder) files on the NetWare clients to use TCPIP first and IPX last (assuming you use TCPIP as your default protocol).

Make sure yopu have the local hosts file setup on the NetWare boxes as well.

I'll check this thread from work and get back to you with some other things to check.

One question? What OS does the Networker server run?

Thanks. The Networker Server is an HP Unix.. I don't know the exact version. The Client piece that is on the Netware boxes is v4.22 that was just released in May 2004.

When you mention the 10mb/s speed, that's the funny thing. The backup will be flying along at 10mb/s or higher, then just timeout. But I think that it may have something to do with when it ends one volume and starts another. It seems that each volume takes a different thread, or multiple threads per volume. At times, there are 9 or 10 threads running simultaneously, and that is how it always worked for this client in the past with no problems on NetWare 4.2.

I had a problem with Legato and tsafs, after awhile the only way I could get backups to work is if I used tsa600 (even though Novell suggests using tsafs). Have you tried lowering the pararallism? Perhaps try doing a manual backup from the client and seeing if you can any errors on the status screen. Other than the tsa issue I haven't had many other problems with Legato and Netware... now Legato and Lotus Notes is another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back