Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legato 6.1.4 for Windows too big Incremental

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancio

Technical User
Dec 27, 2004
IT
Hi,
I use the Legato 6.1.4 (Server/client), the incremental backup is like a Full backup.
Have you solutions?
Thank You

If you mean that the schedule default has an incremenatl scheduled for a weekday which is not respected, ther could be two reasons:

- If this is a new installation and the first backup, this is o.k.
In fact NW will overwrite the schedule because you cannot start with another level than full.
However, you should see an appropriate message.

- If this an existing installation i would expect that there is a problem with the media db which can not find
the last full any more. In this case you have to recover a previous good instance first.

Thank You 605,
But it is the second time that i have this problem.
The first time i renew the index for the client and the incremental backup was ok, after the shut down i had the problem again.
I don't have a good instance.
Have you another solution?
Thank You

No i have not. The client file index will not help you if the media index is defect.

Have a look at you log files, here you should see more messages.

Is it on a windows box, with change journal enablet ?
I have seen this a few times around here, it would run a full backup, and then day day after run another full, and then run the incrementals. I waved my magic wand, which disabled change journal and Puff, the problem was gone.

Which leads me to belive there is either an error in change journal or in the way networker handles the same client in different groups using change journal.

I don't know how to diable the Change journal.
Where i must disable the C.journal? On the client or Server Legato?

thank you

Change journal is a separate program for each NW 200x client - it has a separate icon in the NetWorker group.

Hi,
In these days i try your council. It has worked one time and then the incremental backup is back large.
I'll try again, if you have another council write me please!
Thank you

Don't look at the file index. The problem is with the media index - it obviously does not find the last full any more and starts all over. Actually, NW would indicate this with a clear message. Also have a look at the level: NW would override your scheduled incremental and would actually do a full.

Have a look at the media index and find out when the last full took place.

To repair the media index there are only two possibilities:
- do a cross check with nsrck -X
- recover the media index with mmrecov

Instucture is right, however, is upgrading to new version a option for you ?
It might correct db.

Your saying the incremental is as large as a full but
still saved as level "incr"? Something may be touching
all the files and setting the archive bit?

If the change
journal is used (which could address such a problem) the
default values for it need to be raised to get it to work
properly.

Thank you HelpNow, but i can't upgrade to new version.

For RMinNJ: is sure, my setting is Incremental in fact when i have modified the Change Journal, the incremental backup was ok (but only one time).
I don't Know how raise the default value.

Thanks to All

To see whether this is a NetWorker or MS problem,. can you switch off the Change Journal?

The change journal can be turn on/off, the settings can also
be changed...from what I've seen the settings only take effect
or go into effect after a full backup (which 0's out the change journal).

This had helped with large incrementals we were getting with
the archive bit set. Don't know if it would help here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back