Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legal Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2004
GB
Hi,

Does anyone know what the legal licence situation is if you sell a product made in Excel/VBA, obviously I have a registered copy and so will the clients I sell my products to...

thanks!

I'm NOT a lawyer, but AFAIK you should be just fine. You're selling a workbook file which contains original (hopefully!) material you developed. The workbook is useless to others without a copy of Excel, which is where M$soft gets their cut.

You might get into trouble if you tried to hide the fact that it was an Excel application (I believe their are a couple of older threads discussing the how-to and ethical ramifications of this). And it almost goes without saying that you would get in trouble if your app tried to install Excel on a clients machine without both the clients knowledge and Microsoft's approval (but that would be difficult and obviously dumb).

VBAjedi [swords]

There is nothing wrong with selling an workbook that uses VBA. What you are really doing is charging for your time that was used in creating and coding the workbook. The only legal issues is that you used a licensed copy of excel when you created the workbook. Also, like VBAjedi stated above you need to use original code or give credit where credit is due (or pay for the code if necessary).

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back