Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Leftover TMP files that don't go away 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 1999
US
On each of 5 of my servers, there are a pair of leftover TMP files that Veritas Backup can't backup on an incremental backup, but that do get backed up on a Full backup.
The files are Zero Length, and when I try to delete them, I get an error that there has been a sharing violation, that they're in use. On every daily incremental, I wind up with these error messages in the log.
Backup - \\CLBCHDM02\C: Unable to open the item \\CLBCHDM02\C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SAVRT\0169NAV~.TMP - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CLBCHDM02\C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SAVRT\0449NAV~.TMP - skipped
When I look in the Open Files tab on Manage Computer for the server, no files are shown as open. When I map a drive to that server, and open the folder the files are in, that open folder shows in the Open Files tab.
Any idea how to clean things up, or am I being overly picky ?

Fred Wagner

Two suggestions:

1. Try deleting the tmp files by logging into the server in safe mode and holding down the ctrl button as you hit delete.

HOWEVER, this might be a lot easier

2. Veritas has a way to exclude files from backup. Depending on the version you have, you can just go into the interface and exclude the directory from backup altogether. It has been awhile since I've used Veritas, but your dsm.opt file should have a line in there similar to this when you are done:

EXCLUDE.DIR "\\CLBCHDM02\C: Unable to open the item \\CLBCHDM02\C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SAVRT\*"

Let me know if this works.

Thanks Clint! The first option isn't, because two of these servers are Virtual in VMware. The second sounds like the winner - exclude that folder from the backup. Thanks again!

FHW

Fred Wagner

No problem, Fred. I used to be the sole person in charge of the company's backups at my old job. Veritas can be a pain! Every time Veritas reported errors, the backup report said that the backup was a failure. Then I had to fill out a report explaining WHY the backup failed.

If I remember correctly, you need to open the interface, click "Backup", then you need to select "Exclude.Dir" from the dropdown and enter the path that you want to exclude (including the star).

I ran into this problem for two reasons: 1) it is read only
2) I did not have ownership of the files.
1 - uncheck read only
2 - go into security of take ownership and then delete.

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin and Clint - good ideas, and you've given me more insight! I just remoted into one of the servers, and the two TMP files are not flagged Read-Only, but they are Read and Read/Execute for the Administrators group, and only the SYSTEM has full rights. I tried flagging the Administrators as having full rights, but even that didn't work because they are in use by the SYSTEM.
I've asked our Veritas administrator to flat those files, or better yet their folder, to be excluded from backup. Will ask him again!
Responsibilities and Admin rights are very segmented here -I have full rights only on servers that are part of our FileNet Content Services system.

thanks again for your insight!

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back