Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

left outer joins

Status
Not open for further replies.

seekwall

Programmer
May 14, 2001
GB
I need to update TABLEA with a value where the uin is in TABLEB OR TABLEC OR TABLED. I have used left outer joins to do this.

This query is taking a huge amount of time to run, even though the correct indexes are present.

Is there a simple way around this problem without having to use legacy joins ?

update A
set A.column1 = '1'
from TABLEA A
left outer join TABLEB B on A.uin = B.uin
left outer join TABLEC C on A.uin = C.uin
left outer join TABLED D on A.uin = D.uin
where ( B.uin is not null
or C.uin is not null
or D.uin is not null ) )

ta

Paul

You might want to try WHERE EXISTS and correlated sub-queries. I don't know if it will be any faster but should be because SQL Server will stop searching when a true condition is found.

Update TABLEA
Set column1 = '1'
Where Exists
(Select * From TABLEB Where uin = TableA.uin)
Or Exists
(Select * From TABLEC Where uin = TableA.uin)
Or Exists
(Select * From TABLED Where uin = TableA.uin)
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

Cheers Terry,

I wanted to try to keep away from sub queries. But I don't think I have much of an option really

Paul

Force of habit I suppose.

I just like using ANSI joins

I prefer ANSI JOINs to old style JOINs. However, sub-queries are powerful tools in SQL programming. Correlated sub-queries are particularly valuable beause of their efficiency. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

Correlated Sub-queries are something I don't use very often to be honest. Thanks for the advice, I will read up more and do some execution plan comparisons or something.

By the way, that query works very well indeed

Thanks again

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back