Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Left/Outer JOIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvuppa1

Programmer
Nov 14, 2003
US
How do i specify the left or right outer joins in wf?

SET ALL=ON will produce a left outer join.

I don't think there is anything in FOCUS that will produce a right outer join. To get the same results though you would use MATCH FILE with the NEW option. Personaly, I would reverse the join and use the ALL = ON option.

Oh - one more thing.

SET ALL=PASS will also produce a left outer join but ignore the selection criteria for your guest table if no record exists.

Outer join is not working evenwhen i say
SET ALL=ON, it just gives me the same records as if an inner join.
I checked the record count/records affected on my sql database for the outerjoin and it is different.

im using webfocus 4.3.6
is it SET ALL=ON or -SET ALL=ON ?
I tried both anyway and ended up with no luck.

Gizzy17,
Just to give you an idea of what I did so far.
IN MY DATABASE:

SELECT count(*) FROM eUser LEFT OUTER JOIN eAttribute ON eUser.eUserName = eAttribute.eUserName...gives me a count (103)
SELECT count(*) FROM eUser right OUTER JOIN eAttribute ON eUser.eUserName = eAttribute.eUserName..gives me a count (103)

IN MY FEX PROCEDURE:

JOIN EUSER.EUSERNAME IN eUser TO ALL EATTRIBU.EUSERNAME IN eAttribute AS JOIN0
SET ALL = PASS(tried both ON, PASS)
TABLE FILE EUSER
SUM
CNT.EUSERNAME AS 'Case,Count'...gives me a count (64)
END

I thought it should produce the same record counts both by a DB join and a WebFocus JOIN..I feel stupid :( and confused :((

Try adding

SQL [dbEngine] SET OPTIMIZATION ON

to the begining of the request. I beleive that focus is trying to handle the join itself by retrieving the records from the two tables seperately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back