Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LEFT OUTER join issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

endoflux

Technical User
Aug 6, 2001
US
Folks--

Background: I have an Access source table that's an archive of projects. Since each project may last more than 1 month, I have a field concatonated at archive time that specifies the date for that record.

In my Crystal 9 report, I have a need to compare hours completed from one month to another. To do this, I've added two instances of the same table and joined them LEFT OUTER = on an "Identifier" field.

Problem: If a project is new in the current month, the record is being excluded because there is no match in the 'last month' table.

Question: How do I join these so that I get ALL records from one table, and only the records from the 2nd table which match?

Current SQL:

SELECT [fields]
FROM `ThisMonth` `ThisMonth` LEFT OUTER JOIN `LastMonth` `LastMonth` ON `ThisMonth`.`ID`=`LastMonth`.`ID`

What you are doing should work--unless you have selection criteria on the lastmonth table.

-LB

That was it...I had criteria left over from an earlier design attempt. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back