Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Left Outer Join across multiple tables question

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiiyama

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2003
US
I apologize if my jargon is not correct, anyways:

A realtor sends out a feedback form to showing agents who have shown a certain property of theirs. I need(ed) to count for each property, each question, how many times each possible option for that question was chosen.

At first I had a query that had all but one table in the from clause using the where clause to get the correct results. Then I added my last table using left outer join, beacause there would be some rows with no values in the columns joined. This caused some errors, and I am wondering that is this because I was joining columns from multiple tables that were in the From Clause, and were not joined themselves?

This Works (left outer joining all tables except for fb_questionlist):
Code:
select 	f.mlsnum, ql.questionlistid, ql.answertypeid, ag.answergroupid, ql.questionnumber, ql.question, ag.answergroupitem, ag.answergroupitemvalue, isNull(a.answercount, 0) answercount
from 	acfeedback.dbo.fb_questionlist ql
left outer join acfeedback.dbo.fb_answertypes at on at.answertypeid = ql.answertypeid
left outer join acfeedback.dbo.fb_answergroups ag on ag.answergroupid = at.answergroupid
left outer join acfeedback.dbo.fb_forms f on f.questionlistid = ql.questionlistid 
left outer join (
	select f.mlsnum, a.answergroupid, a.questionnumber, a.answertext, count(*) answercount
	from acfeedback.dbo.fb_answers a, acfeedback.dbo.fb_forms f
	where f.formid = a.formid
	group by f.mlsnum, a.answergroupid, a.questionnumber, a.answertext
) a on a.mlsnum = f.mlsnum and a.answergroupid = ag.answergroupid and a.questionnumber = ql.questionnumber and a.answertext = ag.answergroupitem 
group by f.mlsnum, ql.questionlistid, ql.questionnumber, ql.question, ql.answertypeid, ag.answergroupid, ag.answergroupitem, ag.answergroupitemvalue, a.answercount
order by ql.questionnumber, ag.answergroupitemvalue

This Doesn't (only left outer joining one table to the rest):
Code:
select 	f.mlsnum, ql.questionlistid, ql.answertypeid, ag.answergroupid, ql.questionnumber, ql.question, ag.answergroupitem, ag.answergroupitemvalue, isNull(a.answercount, 0) answercount
from 	acfeedback.dbo.fb_questionlist ql, acfeedback.dbo.fb_answertypes,
	acfeedback.dbo.fb_answergroups ag, acfeedback.dbo.fb_forms f
left outer join 
	(
		select f.mlsnum, a.answergroupid, a.questionnumber, a.answertext, count(*) answercount
		from acfeedback.dbo.fb_answers a, acfeedback.dbo.fb_forms f
		where f.formid = a.formid
		group by f.mlsnum, a.answergroupid, a.questionnumber, a.answertext
	) a on a.mlsnum = f.mlsnum and a.answergroupid = ag.answergroupid and a.questionnumber = ql.questionnumber and a.answertext = ag.answergroupitem 
where 	at.answertypeid = ql.answertypeid
and 	ag.answergroupid = at.answergroupid
and 	f.questionlistid = ql.questionlistid
group by f.mlsnum, ql.questionlistid, ql.questionnumber, ql.question, ql.answertypeid, ag.answergroupid, ag.answergroupitem, ag.answergroupitemvalue, a.answercount
order by ql.questionnumber, ag.answergroupitemvalue

My errors for the above are:
Server: Msg 107, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
The column prefix 'at' does not match with a table name or alias name used in the query.
Server: Msg 107, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
The column prefix 'at' does not match with a table name or alias name used in the query.
The column prefix 'ag' does not match with a table name or alias name used in the query.
The column prefix 'ql' does not match with a table name or alias name used in the query.
The column prefix 'ag' does not match with a table name or alias name used in the query.

I'm really only asking as a matter of discussion.

But thanks in advance.

Hi,

One thing is that you have left out the alias "at" in the from clause.

One other thing I would try is to be concistent.
Use ansi style all the why, don't mix it. Use inner join, left join etc.
I think that could solve your problem.

Regards
/Mattias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back