Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Left(fld,len) works in Access97, not in 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis

Programmer
Jan 26, 1999
GB
I have an Access97 query that calculates a field on the basis of the left n characters of several other fields
But it does not work in Access2000. The Left function is not supported. What is the equivalent in 2000, ideally also usable in 97.
Thanks

The function(s) for string manipulation DO work in ye olde 2K. You probably have some reference(s) missing or dis-arranged.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Thanks, now I have looked closer.
Strangely I can find it when I create a new DB in 2000, it only applied to a 97 DB Opened in 2000.
Is there some conversion problem?

Francis,
I read your post regarding LEFT not working. I'm also using Access 2000 and I can't get that function to work either. This is the code I'm using: I'm typing this into the FIELD box, "Left([Port Speed],2)". I get a message that says, "this function in not available in a query expression".

Mr Red has given the answer correctly in the previous post.
References have changed when you moved the database from one to the other. Simply under modules-new-tools-references. Look to see if any are missing.. The is a faq on this as well as if you search at MS you will see it happens frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back