Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning To Program...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguy

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2000
US
Greetings. I am totally new to programming. Well, actually I just started trying to learn. I don't know a whole lot yet, so I decided to ask a few questions to the pros. How and Where do I start? I have a copy of Visual Basic 5. I want to really know VB, so what steps should I take? I guess that I'm trying to say that I'm out in left field asking for help.....where does one begin? Someone out there, please let me know!! Thanks!!

J. Joe W. Guy
Network Admin
MIS Director

I've been a programmer for a long time, but am very new to VB so far as well.
From what I've heard, if you can get VB6 instead of VB5, that might be better.
For very basic stuff, the "Microsoft Press Developer's Self Study Kit - Step by Step" (ISBN 1-57231-809-0) was really helpful. It is geared to VB6.
If anyone else has input - I inherited a project with (for me) a lot more advanced stuff like use of external or custom ActiveX Controls and could use help.

Well, before you begin to create a serious app I suggest to make yourself familiar with VB enviroment first. Starting from knowing how's the way VB manage a project and how to use available tools like watch window, properties window and toolbox window.

After then you can start to know the 'basic' programming language which used in VB. You'll need to know some important things like :
-. declaring variable
-. assign value to variable
-. how to use conditional statement (If..Then..End If, Select Case..End Select)
-. how to use looping statement (Do..Loop, While..Wend)

Once you begin familiar with the programming syntax the rest will be easier. Don't bother yourself with 'using DLL/OCX' or any Win API function yet. As you step further, the time to learn how to implement those all will come. Hopefully when it is come you're already have a strong basic knowledge in VB.

Welcome to programming world!:)

jguy,

I started learning VB with "An Introduction to Programming Using Visual Basic 5.0" by David I Schneider (Prentice Hall publishers) [ISBN 0-13-875857-3]. Don't try to memorize everything, but get a thorough grasp of the concepts and use the book for a reference. The memorization will come through application. I've learned C++, HTML, FoxPro, and VB, and I enjoy working in VB more than any of the rest.
Hope this helps.

tbuch

First install the Servicepacks with VB5 and this OCX Fixer.
To learn :download VB projects and regards to the source code ,on my VB Site you can download examples at :

succes Eric De Decker
vbg.be@vbgroup.nl

Licence And Copy Protection AxtiveX.

Download Demo version on my Site:
Promotions before 02/28/2001 (free source codebook),visite my site

Edderic,
Thanks for the information! I have one question for you. What did you use to build your site? The layout is killer! Let me know! Thanks!

Joe W. Guy
Network Admin
MIS Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back