Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning the basics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2002
US
I am just getting started...and I was wondering if someone could suggest a good book. I have learned quite a bit through the forum, but most of it is beyond my knowledge...for instance I know nothing about different document sizes, trapping, adobe distiller:)....and so on.
Thanks for your help.

What about the Visual Quickstart guide series? You haven't said which version of PM you have, but their version on 6.5 is not too complicated and is a good start.

Or if you wanted to spend a bit more money, perhaps Adobe's Classroom in a Book.

Or the one I used when i first learned PM (it wasn't terrific, but it taught me some things) was called Adobe Pagemaker 6.5 Illustrated by Kevin G Proot.

Thanks for the information. By the way, I have pm7. Think I might try Adobe's "Classroom in a Book." I was also wanting something on the subject of desktop design and thought it would be more productive to ask the professionals(you guys) rather than do the trial and error thing...these books can be quite pricey.
Thanks again for the tip....I thought I'd be lucky if anyone answered this post! But hey you have to start somewhere.

If you live near a major city, there are several workshops that are offered through Compumaster. You can find them on the Web. The classes are very thorough... they offer Photoshop, web page design and Pagemaker courses that run about two to three days, cost from $199 up, but are really comprehensive. The bad thing is, once they have your name on a mailing list you will be invited to every class they offer, from management down.
Also, if you have a continuing education course at a nearby college, you can call them. They are cheaper, not quite as indepth, but give you more hands on experience. They just recently held a Pagemaker design class at our continuing ed here and the cost was $99 for three two hour sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back