Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning solaris 8, need some gudiance. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon67

MIS
Jan 30, 2001
US
I have already installed the operating system on a single machine and for the most part it was fairly easy. I started with a 2gb drive unformatted. Started with the OS cd and create a solaris 1.3gb partition and the install asked me to create a boot partitaion, I found that the default of 497mb is not enough so I increased to 700mb. I started to install the software package but the system said I have only enough space to load the basic operating system and not the full software bundle. My question are the following:

1. Is the GUI loaded with the basic opeating system?
2. Where is the GUI, and how do I loaded?
2. What is the best way to install the operating system?
3. Will the fdisk, provided with the os use large partition size which are more than 2gb?
4. Everytime the system reboots, the prompt asks me to select boot sector, should it not default to boot partition?
5. How do I change to my floppy disk or cd rom or c: d: e:? I try a: and of course it did not work?

My questions are basic, but I got to start some where. Any reference material would be helpful. Thanks anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back