Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning Resources for VFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleepDepD

Programmer
Mar 13, 2004
US
If you were going to have a friend or co-worker learn VFP, what books/learning resources would you give them? Would you just drop a copy of KiloFox on their desk...or are there some other good resources out there?

If this is a beginner with VFP, I'd hand them a copy of "The Fundamentals" first.

Tamar

Tamar,

Hadn't noticed you here. Your expertise is welcome here.
Welcome to Tek-Tips.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Tamar,

I noticed that the book is listed to be "out of print" on Amazon. Is it still available?

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Marcia said:
Even though you cannot get hard copy, it is still available as an e-book.

Thank you Marcia for clearing that up.

Mike Gagnon

Hello SleepDepD.

Would you just drop a copy of KiloFox on their desk

As much as I think that every desk should have at least one copy of Kilo on it ;-), it really is not a beginner's book. It will not teach you the basics. It is, however, a good next step after one has learned the language basics.

Marcia G. Akins

Tamar

I may want to add the other VFP forums to your list Forum1252, Forum1253, Forum1254 and even forum182.

Mike Gagnon

I think I grabbed all the relevant forums when I signed up.

Tamar

TamarGranor,

Well met! Glad to have you here.

SleepDepD,

Not really a book suggestion, but for someone who is a programmer and perhaps VFP is just a new language to them, I would say that the VFP help file can be a wealth of information on syntax and object models. If they are a VB programmer then something like the following could be very useful:

...I find whenever I am picking up a new language that I'm thinking, "Well I know I would do this in VB, VC++, or VFP, but what is the equivalent in this language?".

On new IDE's I usually play a little bull in the china shop... clicking on everything in the menus and on the screens and toolbars if I don't know what it does. Then looking it up in the help file or doing a google search if I find that I am confused by whatever pops up.

Probably not the best way to go about things, but I find it greatly accelerates my ability to pick up the language whatever it may be. The other thing is doing some real though basic work in the language seems to help. I mean if I find myself reading a book that has me implementing a car base class and giving it a color property then I usually fall asleep on my keyboard.

Barring that, look up any books that were authored/co-authored by Tamar or Marcia and you're bound to end up with your money's worth. <g>

boyd.gif

I would recommend also the 'hackers guide to visual foxpro 7.0'.

Not only for the book, but especailly the chm-helpfile u can dowlnload with this book, is very very usefull.

I would recommend also the 'hackers guide to visual foxpro 7.0'.

Yes but far be it from Tamar to promote your own work ;-)

Mike Gagnon

I learned a lot (and still quit often do) of :
1001 things you always wanted to know about VFP.
-Bart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back