Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

learning quark express

Status
Not open for further replies.

lb1

Technical User
Apr 19, 2002
US
i inserted a postscript < eps picture into a quark document> i only see the name of the file with the eps extension>
is there a way for me to see this picture on the screen?
thanks in advance

Go back to the application that created the eps, and make sure that you resave it with a preview.

It used to be that if the eps was saved as a PC eps & imported into Quark on a Mac, then only the name of the eps would appear but it would print ok. Try opening the eps & resaving specifically for your format.

Also, I've found if the eps was saved as a higher level of postscript (ie. level2), the eps would come in like that but print ok. once saved back as level one it would be all good again.
(and yes I know we are now upto level 4, I think)

Thanks for these answers.
I opened the eps in photoshop and saved it in eps with preview.
In quark, I can see the image , but the quality is not too good. Does the quality will be good when printed by a printing service or do I will get the same so-so quality that I get when printing on my small printer that is not a postscript printer?

The preview has no impact on the quality of the final printed copy in a PostScript environment - it would, however, in a QuickDraw situation. The preview is there to enable correct placement of an image in Quark (etc.) and to provide a general overview of how the page will look. The print data is entirely separate - hence the fact that you can save a picture without a preview. If the preview was required it wouldn't print very well would it!!!

Regards
Duncan

try saving as EPS with JPEG preview - should be quite a bit better

by the way - not intending to be rude but it's a poor mistake - its QuarkXpress not quark express - probably wouldn't look too professional on a C.V.

Duncan

Thanks and I definitly take note of the last comment

One more thing to double check... From the problem you described with the file name showing in Quark instead of the picture, I think the eps file may have been actually created in Illustrator, not Photoshop. If so, when you open it in Photoshop you have to define the resolution and color mode. If you did this, you need to make sure you're making it high-enough resolution at the size you want to print. (I'm not sure how familiar you are with these terms, so I'm going to end here. If you have more questions on this, please post them!)

Dont worry if an eps file looks bad in Quark, they always do - low level previews help to cut file size. The Eps should print out nicely, as long as you havent blown it up past 100% - then problems may occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back