Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning curve between Siemens and Nortel 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2005
US
Hello all, I am new to the Siemens PBX/Voicemail world, because our company has the Nortel PBX/Voicemail system. I am applying for a job and they have the Siemens system, all they mentioned was Siemens PBX/Voicemail, and I would like to get some feedbacks from all you Siemens experts on the difference.

The job mentioned Add/Move/Change type of tasks.

Thank you all.

Richard

Don't quite understand why you are so obsessed with the current state of Siemens COM. We are still working - business as usual. If you read the news, there are mergers and acquisitions occurring every day. We look at it as a good thing.
You can use the Import/Export table, located in Assistant >> Utilities. If you do not see it there, you will need to activate it by accessing Assistant >> Base Admin >> Application Control. Click the checkbox beside Import/Export, then click Submit at bottom of that window. Wait for the confirmation. Now refresh the browser, and you should now see Import/Export under Utilities.
This app must be installed on your PC. It allows you to connect to the HiPath and export any data you desire from the entire Informix database i.e Station number, PEN, Name.... I don't have time right now to go into details, but I will come back over the weekend. Anyway, you can display the results onscreen, and use your PC's printer/network printer to print, or save to a file on your PC. Great way tp produce a directory for the receptionist...

I have not had a chance to have a 4000 yet, but I do something similar on the 150 - I just select all the data on screen just like a spreadsheet, hit copy, cruise over to Excel and paste it in - that is how I create my system management spreadsheets - all I have to do is add a column for the cable pair, keep it up to date as I make changes and there I am - works great. If I don't want some of the data I just delete the unneeded columns.

When I bought my first switch I attended the basic EMML class for a week and got a nice binder with enough information to do the routine daily MAC. When I bought the big one for the main site I also bought the full EMML manual and the whole set of Insallation and Maintenance manuals - I did not care that I had to pay for them - I wanted the data so I could learn. When I got my Hicom 150 I bought a cheezy little training kit they were selling, but that got me a book that explained how to do what I needed, and, more importantly, the cable and software I needed. Most of the rest of the info you need is stashed in the help files, but I have that I&M manual too.

Now I manage to finagle a set of CD's off a tech every once in a while, but most of the stuff I have is older and the info doesn't change much, and even if it does, it all still works the same for the most part. I would really like to go to the 3-week course in TX and get certified - my employer is willing to pay, but I can't be gone from here that long - they panic as soon as even minor little stuff happens.

JL is right - it is difficult to self maintain. I am quite capable, but I do not happen to have access to the knowledge base online because I am not certified. I believe even if I was I need to pay some kind of fee to be a self maintainer and access the data - which does kind of bite the big one, but most of what I need I can find online if I know where to look - and this forum is also an excellent resource - for the new and old alike!

Do not confuse obsessed with fustation. COM is for sale because it does not make profit. I do read the news in fact I have Siemend RSSed to keep up to date. It is only fact what I speck and as I stsed before I mean no ill will but to be clear it is fustration. After working on Nortel products for twenty years I guess I'm spoiled in get what I need feely conpaired to having to purchase information just to use the system to its full capasity and ability.

Thanks for the info, I will try it today to see if I get full info.

Hi - I am an instructor with Siemens and work with Xpressions.

GMgerry - I will be glad to help you out and provide an Xpressions documentation disk. No PO required :). In our one week administration class we distribute the disk as part of our courseware. In the installation class the installation manual pdf files are provided as part of the courseware. I am not sure why you did not receive the documents during class, but I can quickly correct the situation.

Please contact me at 972-714-5708. If you reach my mailbox provide your name, mailing address and the Xpressions course you attended. After validating your attendance, I will mail out the Xpressions documentation CD provided with class.

Hope this is helpful; we appreciate your attending Siemens training.

Regards,
Cliff

RSS feed, CNN, Bloomberg, whatever the source, anything you read at this point is speculation. There have been no official statements from Siemens regarding the status of COM. Yes, we are actively seeking a partner because the worldwide telecom market is extremely rough. Several other major players in the global telecom market have already merged, or made acquisitions. It is the only way to survive a very tough market. Anyone that chooses to self-maintain their equipment after the warranty has expired is taking away potential revenue from either the manufacturer or a service organization. If you were to visit your vehicle manufacturer's service facility six years after purchasing the vehicle, would they give you a service handbook for free? Absolutely not. I understand your frustration, but perhaps your employer is contributing to that frustration by not providing you with the proper resources to perform your job.

I have researched our training records. GMgerry, do you work for an oil company?

Thanks HP4KSME for the info on the Import/Export, never used it before, great tool!

I do not work for an oil company. Guess again.

Thanks for the info Cliff I shall contact you ASAP.

I think you may have been mis-informed about the Siemens COM sales situation. An article was posted last year about Siemens selling COM and SBS. The article stated that the SBS sale would most likley include cash from Siemens. While the article did discuss a potential sale of COM, cash was not mentioned as a condition of sale acceptance for that specific Siemens company.

It was a group of equity companies out of San Francisco and the deal fell through because it would cost too much to separate the company away from Siemens AG. They asked for cash up front to insure a smooth transition but Siemens said no. The firms said no deal. The interested party had relatively the same request but with added cash escrows but again Siemens said no. My understanding is the latter was a major carrier rumored to be than SBC and the other was acting in Microsoft’s interest.

But that is water under the bridge. There are no interested parties today.

I have only been in the Telecom busniess for 4 years, started with Siemmens training and now we are migrating to a Nortel system so I have learned both systems from scratch. I can say that I never had any trouble getting documentation from either group but that I find the CLI for Nortel more clunky than for Siemmens. I also found that I liked haveing one class to take to get a good understanding of Siemmens rather than 12-14 classes at Nortel. I spent a total of 10 weeks in Dallas for Siemmens, and, so far, 8 weeks in Dallas for Nortel with more to come. Haven't had to address VoIP yet, but we are heading that way.

One thing I really don't like about Nortel training is that while they load you down with NTP's, I have had every instructor tell me, when the book disagrees with what they said, "The book is wrong, it has a lot of problems." Getting documentation isn't that great if it isn't right.

Thanks HP4KSME for the info on the Import/Export. Keep it comming, worked with a 9751 mod 10 a while ago, working with a Hipath 4000 and 300 systems. Would like to have a beer with you and chew the fat on some of these systems. Just looking into VOIP on the 4000 now, here we go......

let me know if you can talk, I have some contacts in Irving
Luigi, Jamie,Jeff,Mike and such I'll see if I can look u up

Thanks again for being in the forum, I can use all the help
I can get. B-)

WRT

Just ask for John L in Education. Your contacts know me well. See you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back