Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning C# as a beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmay

Programmer
Jan 22, 2003
US
I am a beginning programmer trying to learn Visual C#. Can anyone recommend any good books or videos to get me started in the right direction

Hi,
I can Recommend 2 Books:
1."C# How to Program By Dietel" - Very Comprehensive
2."Microsoft Visual C# .NET Step by Step" - a classic beginers book.

Best Regards,
Y

I'm learning right now and I have two books from APress...

1. C# and the .NET Platform (Andrew Troelsen)
2. ADO.NET Examples and Best Practices for C# Programmers (William R. Vaughn/Peter Blackburn)

The book from Troelsen is a great book! Actually, I like APress books in general, but I started learning C# a couple of months ago and the book from Andrew Troelsen is the best. You might end up doing what I did, which was reading the first couple of chapters then skipping around the book (ie. skipping to ADO.NET and Windows forms).

After reading about C#, you might want to pick up an ADO.NET book, too. Although Troelsen does devote a chapter to ADO.NET, it's really so different from COM-based ADO that you will have to get a book on it just to learn the "best practices" (ie. using datasets) and that's why I bought the 2nd book.

GOOD LUCK!

Well, I took a C# class in college, and there's a couple of books we used, but if you're looking to go toward the "visual" side, graphics, etc, then I'd recommend
the C# book by Mr. Charles Petzold. His books are unprecedented, and stuff.

They're already teaching C# in college? That's pretty cool. Was it a good program being thats a newer language?

Oh, that was a great class. Good curriculum here at my school, they try to keep new things in the loop. I dig.

weevilofdoom -

I learned Windows 3.1 programming from Petzold's books way back when. Did you know he has a tattoo of the Windows logo on his arm?

All his stuff is good, although some of it is only for demostration use - you'd do things differently in a production environment. Good to learn from, though.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back