Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning ASP.NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorntong

Programmer
Feb 4, 2009
US
Hi Everyone,
I am looking to learn ASP.NET and I was wondering if anyone knew of any online training courses that were very good and you really got a lot out of the class. I would greatly appreciate any assistance/guidance that you may have.

Kind Regards,

Glenn

1st thing to understand asp.net is just an http framework. it's sole purpose is to response to a request. parts of the asp.net framework include:
HttpApplication
HttpContext
Request
Response
Cache
HttpModules
HttpHandler

from there you can build whatever you want on top of it. Most common, you want to render html. for that you have html engines:
WebForms
Spark
NVelocity
Brail
AspView

WebForms is the most common. I would estimate 90+% of .net web developers use webforms to create webpages. In .net 1st iteration webforms was the only choice.

The remaining html engines above are usually paired with a MVC framework (Model, View, Controller). The most popular (only?) choices are MS MVC and Monorail.

Jeffery Palmero and his colleagues just published "ASP.Net MVC in Action". I would recommend this as a great introduction for MVC development. Monorail is part of the Castle open source project. I'm not aware of any formal documentation, other than the help files.

There are some major architectural considerations when deciding between WebForms or an MVC framework. I won't get into all the details in this post. Jeffery has a post about that as well
your probably more overwhelmed now than before :)

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190

Thank you Jason!

The information you've provided is very helpful and enlightening!!

Glenn

is only good for learning how to drag/drop controls on to the screen. it does nothing to teach about proper design techniques, SoC or the like.

if you want to get a site up and running in 5 minutes with some wow factors the videos are a starting point.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190

Did you view all the videos (advanced as well) to judge this way?

Thank you everyone. Your resource suggestions are have been extremely helpful!!

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back