Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning algorithms

Status
Not open for further replies.

idinkin

Programmer
Sep 12, 2002
IL
Hi all!
Could you tell me where can I find any information about learning algorithms on the net and if you can tell me about them by yourself.
Thank you!

i m ayaz ... there are many algorithms ... u r searching which one on which topic ... if u specify a topic then may be , i 'll be able to ans ...

Ayaz

Algorithms are the coded solution of a specific problem.
In fact you could say a program itself is an algorithm
consisting of a multitude of other algorithms.
Algorithms you need not learn. They already exist and you
can use them.
So what you mean I think is how you can work on a specific
problem and create an algorithm.
But there's no general guideline for this.
There are different ways of sorting data, of retrieving data
from a file, of writing data to a file a.s.o.
The way they work depends on what YOU want them to do.
The algorithm should be on paper first, then you will do the
coding.

No. You did not understand me. I meant algorithms about how to do a program that will learn things, like humans learn.

I agree, the neural network is the best place to start. In particular, start out by learning a simple backpropagation neural network. You can search for "neural network backprop OR backpropagation code"

Don't get ahead of yourself until you master the basic backprop algorithm. There are a lot of variations using optimized parameter estimation methods, but that's all icing on the cake. Get used to the basic terminology and data structures of neural networks and you will go far.

You may want to purchase "The Art of Computer Programming" by Donald E. Knuth (Get the latest version.) It is a three volume set that discusses all kinds of different algorithms (albeit in a mathematical form.) This is the de facto trilogy on alogrithms in general.

Hope this helps! Happy coding :)
*~-> EOR Candy <-~*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back