Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learn APEX/oracle or ASP To create Online Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyb2008

Programmer
Apr 16, 2009
GB
My work now needs to share live data with the companies clients. Its simple stuff - based around one table with a few for aux info - and ive been using Zoho Creator DB but this isnt as solid as we would like...

Whats the best path for me to create these web databases?

Should i learn web page / ASP programming or is it easier/ better to learn the Oracle APEX platform (Express Edition)?

Arguments i already have for ASP...
1. Ive extensive Access experience
2. Ive used VBA quite a bit
3. I would be able to use a standard ISP host package as i read mines come with ASP and access database support
Against
1. I "know" but am inexperienced in HTML
2. Id have to learn ASP from scratch, i dont have a lot of DAO/ADO experience
3. Ive only used vbscript on WSH before

Arguments for APEX
1. Logged onto apex.oracle.com and it looks great - what i wish zoho was - easy wizards and able to get down + dirty with SQL
2. Seems to be good widgets for UI available
Against
1. Only heard of it yesterday!
2. No PL/SQL experience (ive got T-SQL experience)
3. Will i need to code client scripts, can i use vbscript?
4. Id have to set it up on my own server or a VPS, ive no HTTP server experience
5. Are the client web pages solid and reliable?

What route do you think is best for me?????

Regards

Gary

Greetings,

Not knowing about your first option, I can say that I like using APEX. If you use Oracle 11g or 10g database express you do not need to have a HTTP server as it were. Oracle uses what is calls a "PL/SQL gateway" to handle that.

And the best part is that it is FREE!!

Regards,

William Chadbourne
Programmer/Analyst

Whats it like at dynamic elements on the clients webpage such as "if Q3 is answered Yes show Q4 and Q5 else hide them" and "after a new record is added using this form go to another page showing results of query x"

Is this done in PL/SQL, would i have to add/learn custom HTML scripting in vbscript/javascript?

A lot of linkages to other pages/forms/rules is accomplished by checking a box or selecting a link when you're developing the page. It is not difficult to become reasonably functional with APEX by poking around and playing with it. There are also several books that do a good job of explaining how to pull everything together. I have been able to support the working needs of my company using APEX, and NEVER had to augment it with vbscript/javascript/anyscript (although you could if you wanted to).
So - it's not hard to learn, it's pretty flexible, and (as previously mentioned) it's free. It provides security through a variety of mechanisms. It works very well with your Oracle database. If you know PL/SQL and SQL, you have the requisite programming skills. It would also be something else to put on your resume. You can just about guess what my preference is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back