Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Leap Second on June 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacosoup

Vendor
Apr 20, 2011
US
I am just throwing this out there for your opinions and to see what you are doing for this.

The leap second has generated a couple of bulletins and I have a lot of sites that are not 7.6 SP6.
I think I need to just disable NTP before midnight, then enable it again afterwards.

This is from Avaya for CS1K

Doc ID: SOLN268547
Version: 8.0
Published date: 14 May 2015
Updated: 03 Jun 2015
Author:
David Henley

DETAILS
CS1000 Any Release: LEAP SECOND: Communication Server 1000 support for Leap Second June 2015
PROBLEM CLARIFICATION

On June 30th 2015, a leap second will be added as per IERS Bulletin C 49 to keep UTC clocks in sync with global rotation. This second will be added at 06-30-2015 23:59:60.

There are also some further time changes as follows.
 The Mexican state of Quintana Roo, represented by America/Cancun, will shift from Central Time with DST to Eastern Time without DST on 2015-02-01 at 02:00.
 Chile will not change clocks in April or thereafter; its new standard time will be its old daylight saving time. This affects America/Santiago, Pacific/Easter, and Antarctica/Palmer.
 Fiji Standard Time: new daylight saving time (DST) schedule would start on First Sunday of November and end on Third Sunday of January.
If for some reason Network Time Protocol (NTP) is not being used for clock synchronization, or if the enterprise NTP server that Communication Server 1000 gets its clock sync from does not support accounting for leap seconds, then the leap second will not be properly accounted for.
Even in case NTP is being used, when the leap second is added the RHEL kernel will print a message to the system log. Depending on the version of RHEL kernel, there is a chance the printing of this message could cause the kernel to crash. See the following RHEL KB article for additional information: IMPORTANT NOTE: CS1000 7.6 SW already included a kernel update in CS1000 7.6 sw GA release (March 2013 release) to resolve the potential crash issue flagged by RHEL, thus CS1000 7.6 sw is not susceptible to this kernel crash issue.
CAUSE
SOLUTION
All versions of Communication Server prior to R7.6 are End of Manufacturer Support (EoMS) for software for at least eighteen months now. Software updates are provided for R7.6 only – for earlier versions should refer to the information provided in the Workaround section of this document.

Three updates are available for CS 1000 R7.6:

· cs1000-linuxbase-7.65.16.23-08.i386.000
Special Instructions:
o Please note that this SU must be installed before any Service Pack.
o Upgrading from cs1000-linuxbase-7.65.16.21-01.i386 or prior SU, please perform the following steps under root user before installing the SU:
chmod 444 /var/opt/nortel/base-apps/*
chmod 755 /opt/nortel/Jboss-Quantum/run/jbossd
o Please note that tzdata-2015a-1.el5.i386.000 is required for this SU
o No service impact

· tzdata-2015a-1.el5.i386.000
No Special Instructions and no service impact

· jdk-1.6.0_95-fcs.i586.000
Special Instructions:
o Please note that this SU should be installed with cs1000-Jboss-Quantum-7.65.16.23-5 or newer
o JDK update will result in restart of Jboss – no impact on call processing

Two updates are available for CS 1000 for AMS 7.6:

· cs1000-linuxbase-amsx64-7.65.16.26-1.i386.000
Special Instructions:
o Please note that this SU must be installed before any Service Pack.
o Please note that tzdata-2015a-1.el5.x86.000 is required for this SU
o No service impact

· tzdata-2015a-1.el5.x86_64.000
No Special Instructions and no service impact
***********************************************************************************
Workaround or alternative remediation:
Communication Server 1000 systems prior to R7.6 that are synchronized to NTP servers and have RHEL kernels that are susceptible to the issues documented in the RHEL KB article, can have NTP disabled during a maintenance window prior to the leap second adjustment. After the time of the leap second adjustment has occurred, the server can then be synchronized to an NTP server again during a maintenance window. Disabling and enabling NTP can cause service disruptions and should always be performed during a maintenance window.
© 2015 Avaya Inc. All Rights Reserved. Page 2
Note: For Communication Server 1000 systems prior to R7.6 that are not connected to an NTP server, Avaya recommends no manual action be performed attempting to adjust for the leap second. Clock drift on servers not connected to
************************************************************************************
RESTRICTED SOLUTIONS ELEMENTS
see also

PSN004494u

** Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

7.6 was ok from the GA if you look at what you pasted in:

IMPORTANT NOTE: CS1000 7.6 SW already included a kernel update in CS1000 7.6 sw GA release (March 2013 release) to resolve the potential crash issue flagged by RHEL, thus CS1000 7.6 sw is not susceptible to this kernel crash issue.

All other releases like you disable the NTP and enable afterwards see the workaround in the same document.

Thats what we plan to do on the few systems we have that are not 7.6.

So based on the PSN the only thing affected would be Signaling Servers or Co-Res SS/CS that are 7.6 pre service pack 6 or 7.5, 7.0 or 6.0 correct.

The vxworks call servers wouldn't be affected. Are you disabling ntp on the signaling servers then? If so how?

I did mine tonight so the Release 5.0's we still have i just disabled in the Callserver

LD 117
=> dis ntp background
=> dis ntp

On the 7.5 systems I stopped it in the Callserver as above (but seems as they look at the SS probably a step i didnt need to do)
then on the 7.5 Sig servers that are set as NTP Primary/Secondary I did ntpconfig choose option 3 (Not a Time sever) and set the IP address to look at to 127.0.0.1 (Loopback)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back