Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LeadTek Winfast 250 GF4 ti 4600 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

knight1811

Technical User
Dec 29, 2002
GU
Just got the Leadtek GF4 ti4600 card.
I removed my older GF3 ti200 card and install the new Leadtek card.
After installation, I start the system and get nada. I get a series of beeps from the PC speaker and then nothing is displayed on the monitor. I noticed that the A drive (3.5) lights are on and do not turn off. I think the card is bad.

Anyways, I removed the card and reinstall the GF3 ti200 card and it loads up perfectly. I then remove the GF3 ti200 card and reinstall the GF4 Ti4600 card and the same results (series of beeps and nothing on the monitor).

Basically, the POST test doesn't complete thus no display on the monitor screen. I only get an audio alert and then it just "hangs." Any ideas?

thanks and happy holidays,

Jae.

OOOPs sorry,
Here is my computer layout:

AMD 2200xp
512MB pc2100 ram
sound blaster audigy 2
Epox 8k5a mobo
via kt333 chipset

thanks again,

Jae.

Are you getting any display at all in the POST? If you are, there's a problem with the drivers.
You may need to jumper the motherboard (powered down and unplugged) to clear the settings and restore the defaults.
You may want to write them down so you can restore things when you get it going.

Series of beeps from the speaker...8 of them? Indicates bad video card...but may be a red herring. (just not installed correctly)

Make sure to follow the instructions that came with the card for installing it.

The via chipset drivers may need updating and are available at

Installing the card is usually best done by 1st replacing whatever card you have with a standard VGA adapter and then shutting down and installing the card.
The BIOS needs to have AGP as the primary display and AGP 4 enabled if there's a setting for it.
I suspect the POST is happening, but without the benefit of the video card (monitor is going to standby with yellow light when no correct video is detected)
By the way, the floppy light on all the time is classic symptom of a cable that's reversed...usually the red side of the cable goes toward the power connector and the other end of it goes with the red stripe aligned with the pin marked number 1.

Thanks for the advise Gargouille,

To which settings on the mobo are you referring? I haven't messed with any of the video jumpers on the mobo since....never. And after reviewing the mobo manual, there are no video jumpers settings at all.

Also, I took your recommendation for the via chipset. Thanks.
However, it nevers gets to that stage. The computer never completes the POST. It just hangs. The 3.5 drive lights on and doesn't stop. The cable has not been messed with...since installation and has been working ever since first installation and works fine if the other video card(GF3 card) is installed.

If POST is taking place as you suspect then the POST should complete and then kick over to the C: drive thereby loading my XP O/S, however it doesn't. The system hangs and doesn't "appear" to move forward into the process. The 3.5 lights stay on and nothing more. No HDD lights come on...NADA.

As for the instructions on the video card, it's the usual instructions with no additional insight. Pull old card, insert new card, then replace cover and plug in power cord. start computer. Of course there is a ton of information for installation according to various O/Ss.

Any other suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks again Gargouille.

happy holidays,

Jae.

I had bought the Leadtek Winfast ti4200 8xagp card and after 4 days it started to beep and nothing on screen. After testing it a mtes machine it appears that the card had blown in some way. I ended up taking it back.

So the only thing i can suggest is putting it another machine and see what results you get

Frieon,

You are right. My card was bad also. I replaced it and everything is just fine. Thanks for your input. I returned my Winfast and got the ATI 9700 pro. I is much smaller and no problems whatsoever!

take care,

Jae.

Me again

I have since got my replacement card and found that teh lights came on when turned on and nothing else.

I have found that the card is seated properly. I have to have my monitor turned on and then press the power on the pc inorder for the card to pick the monitor up. this is the only way i can get it going.

Hope this helps

I have my sellers on the case as well on this and also the Capture Code 10 error in Device Manager - So if i hear of anything i will let you know the result

Forgot this bit

I was told to totally disable all power managment from the bios and this in Windows - This made no change for me but may help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back