Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Leadtek GF4 TI4600 and WinXP Pro Blue Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

win13

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
US
This is a post that was previously in the "Video Issues" forum and had no replies. Just wanted to see if there were any suggestions about my problem.

Alright I need help with my Leadtek A250 Ultra TD (TI4600). I've decided that i wanted to install Windows XP Pro. Everything goes fine and loads up perfectly. I install the video card drivers and so far everything is still good until I install the My VIVO Drivers and let it restart. Before it ever goes to the Welcome screen it would just restart. so i go into safe mode and disable the restart when there is an error. after I reboot and start normal it gives me a blue screen at the same place it would restart. It seems like evertime i get the blue screen I would get different errors. So I go back to safe mode and uninstall the My VIVO drivers and restart normal and get the same thing.
I've then got fed up, formatted the drive and reinstalled XP Pro. I installed the 30.82 NVidia video drivers and the latest My VIVO drivers from Leadtek, restarted and still got the same damn thing. Then again formatted, reinstall XP, NVidia Detonator 40 drivers latest My VIVO drivers, restart same thing. Reformat, reinstall XP, Detonator 40, My VIVO drivers on cd, restart and still the same thing.
I know it's not overheating because it works in 98 and the case stays at 75°F and CPU 102°F at idle and 110°F at full usage.
I am now back to 98 SE and don't know what to do. Any answers???
Specs...
ECS K7S5A mobo with latest Bios Drivers and w/ latestAGP drivers when XP was installed
AMD XP1700+ w/ AX-7 heatsink and 80mm fan
512DDR PC2100 stick w/ heatspreader and fan
Leadtek A250 Ultra TD w/ dual 17" monitors
TVeiw 99 capture/tuner
Promise Controller card ATA/133 (not installed when XP installs)
Maxtor 80gig ATA/133 7200RPM (tried XP install on here)
Western Digital 30gig UDMA/66 5400RPM (currently disconnected)
LG 24X burner
52X CDRom
Hi-Val 16x DVD (currently disconnected)
Soundblaster Live Platinum 5.1
400W PSU

Can't find your original post...(with different nic?)

Questions I have:

What were the error messages on the blue screens? (Too easy to just acknowledge them without at least looking at what they're trying to tell.)

Have you also tried (exhaustive, isn't it?) using only barebones components, installing OS...getting it up and running then adding components 1 at a time?

I'd try (also) seeing if WinXP's native drivers would let you limp into the OS...without the video drivers loaded. I see lots of folks that get by with that.

TRY TO:
1) INSTALL SIS AGP-DRIVER (agp110.exe)+ VIVO DRIVERS FROM NVIDIA (DO NOT INSTALL DET40)
2) UPDATE "TView 99" DRIVERS (OR/AND CHECK FOR WINXP PATHES)(3) UPDATE BIOS (ftp://210.17.18.13/bios/k7s5a020809.exe)
4) RE-ARANGE PCI CARDS (OR UN-PLUG TView)
5) UPDATE VGA BIOS
6) CLEAR-CMOS AND CHECK YOUR BIOS SETTINGS (APERTURE SIZE etc.)
7) INSTALL "GDI PATCH" FOR WINXP (Q318966)
8) VISIT "MS KNOWLEDGE BASE"
*) INCOMPATIBILITY --> "WINXP+TView+NVx" R.T.F.M.

Hi guys,

Are some of you still having problems with LEADTEK, VGA A 250 My Vivo edition drivers with WIN XP PRO.
I am planning to buy this card actually and I wanted to know whether Leadtek have updated their drivers.

Pls guys waiting for your replies.

Well if you search for Leadtek 250...you don't get any negatives...if you search for Leadtek Ti4600 (am I right this is the same card?) it's a much different story...your choice:
has 5 pages of comments...didn't go thru them. Again, your choice.

Are The BSOD messages Something like
1) kmode exception
2) pageing in non paged area in nv_disp.dll

Well - You're running either detonator a 30 or 40 Nvidia driver - DON'T

Uninstall these & use the 29.xx series of drivers. I've found thee to be the only stable driver releases for Graphics intensive games.
If you want to push the card get a overclocking utility & tweak until you can runn 3dMark for 24 hours non stop no crashes then you'll be about as fast as you can go and stable enough for a decent gaming session.

The 30.xx & esp 40.xx are VERY unstable - even WHQL editions
!!!! - This is what Monopoloy trading means to us the end users. They just don't give a damn.
How Nvidia get Away with this sort of shodyness and still get a certification from MS i don't Know. Maybe the Xbox gets them special treatment.

this may come too late but here goes. unless by "formatting" you mean also clearing your mbr thats what your problem is. xp will not run with a previous os mbr on the drive. as far as stable drivers go i used the 30.82 with my mmx card from release and never had a single issue. i have since upgraded to a ti4200. i digress, you need a dos boot floppy with the dos command clearhdd 0. you can get this from the samsung website and add it to any boot floppy you make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back