Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

leading problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRZ

Technical User
Mar 17, 2003
NL
I'm using 2 font sizes in 1 document, but both have the same leading (hor. distance between lines). So there should be no shift between the lines on opposie pages when using the 2 font sizes. However when the small font starts as line nr. 1 (= top line) of a page it does have effect how the following lines are ordered. The space above that first line is smaller , and there for effects the rest. But when I use the larger font in that line (for instance in a space) it uses that space, and the lines are alligned correct again. So which setting can I use to change this, while using only the smaller font, see image to make it clearer.

check for image of problem

The reason that this is happening is *probably* because your text frames are spec'd to use cap height as the setting for the first baseline offset. That setting uses the tallest cap height of any font/point size on that first line as the measurement to determine where the baseline of that first line sits relative to the top of the text frame. So what you're seeing would be expected behavior...which is one of the main reasons I avoid this setting. You can do 2 things to change this:

1. select your text frames and go to Object > Text frame options and change the first baseline offset setting to Leading. If you're using uniform leading in these paragraphs then you'll elimate this problem.

2. Turn on the Align to grid setting as part of your paragraph style. This will override the first baseline offset setting and make your offsets consistent.

Er... AdobeTim is definitely correct, but I think the easiest way to solve your problem is to use Character Grid in paragpraph palette which ensures lines are aligned to grids. (This might be Japanese version specialty though, sorry cannot check this right now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back