Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

leading and paragraph question

Status
Not open for further replies.

studio1

Technical User
Aug 5, 2003
US
How do I apply leading so that it affects only the space I'm interested in moving? For example, sometimes I want to increase or decrease the space *between* paragraphs, and sometimes I want to do the same *within* a paragraph. It seems pretty straightforward but it isn't. Often when I want to do the first, the second happens, and when I want to do the latter, the first happens.

I'm not talking about text that's obviously separated into different paragraphs. I'm talking about lines of text that go down a page, which I want to arrrange in various kinds of ways. Sometimes the leading will move the space between lines within a para. when what I want to move is the whole unit of lines downward a few points without affecting the leading space within the para. And vice-versa. I hope I'm making myself understood.

So I guess the bigger question here is: how do I unhook a line or a set of lines from the paragraph setting (so that I can move them as a block without changing the leading between the lines)? And, conversely, how do I make a line or a set of lines be part of a paragraph (so I can have the spacing between them be the same as the previous para.)?

Sorry about the confusion but I can't think of another way of stating the question.

Thanks in advance!

Select the text, then go to Style > Formats...

To adjust the space between paragraphs, enter a value in either the Space Before or, more likely, Space After box. This doesn't affect the leading as such, but adds a little extra space after you hit enter.

Leading affects all the lines in selected paragraph(s), even if a paragraph is only partially selected, or even if the cursor is placed within a paragraph.

It sounds as if you need special handling for a set of lines within a paragraph. I know of only two ways to do that:

1) Select the lines in question and use baseline shift to move them up or down a number of points. (This will not keep the same space between lines above and below, however.)

or 2) define two paragraph styles, and place returns around the lines that need the alternate spacing. If this situation occurs frequently, it would be helpful to have style sheets for both paragraph styles.

Both solutions can get messy if copy reflows, however.

George

Thanks to both respondents. I'll try your solutions, see what works, then return with comments.

To create more space between paragraphs try this. Insert a return at the end of the first line in the lower paragraph.
Place cursor at the start of this paragraph.
In the measurements palette make sure that the leading amount is defined as a number and not Auto.
Click on the up arrow and this will add space. You can even adjust by fractions of a point by typing in a value.
To add space between any two lines of text, make sure there is a return at tthe end of each of the two lines. Then do as above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back