Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

le1 in SPARC 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrywashington

Technical User
Jun 28, 2001
US
I recently added a second LAN interface to a SPARC 5. I did a boot -r, added the file /etc/hostname.le1 and added the IP/subnet via ifconfig. I cannot ping the second interface from my network and am not sure if the card is being recognized by Solaris. I cannot bring this system down to run watch-net from PROM as it is a server. Is there a command or diagnostics that I can run within Solaris to verify that the card is being recognized?

wscfi# ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
le0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
inet 192.168.48.18 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.48.255
ether 8:0:20:82:d:ec
le1: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
inet 192.168.227.132 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.227.255
ether 8:0:20:82:d:ec

I can only suggest looking at the var/adm/messages file for information after reboot

possibly running
arp -a
netstat -i

I'm not sure if you need to run ifconfig plumb/up:-

ifconfig le1 your.new.ip.address plumb
ifconfig le1 up

Umm - the &quot;ifconfig -a&quot; output you've posted shows both interfaces as having the same MAC address (8:0:20:82:d:ec) - surely an indication that all is not well :-(

Presumably the 2 cards don't have the same MAC address ?

If not, looks like you need to fix this problem. One by one, the penguins steal my sanity. X-)

ayjaycee, you're barking up the right tree. I just ran into this same issue (was mixing hme0 and le0, but doesn't make a difference). If you look at the network interface guide for sun, it mentions that older network cards may not use their internal MAC address, and therefore show the system MAC address. This is even true if the local-mac-address? PROM value is set to true.
In short, just change the MAC address to something different than le0 (or vice versa).
In your case, you could just do something like:

ifconfig le1 ether 8:0:20:82:d:2

To make this stick on reboot, put the change into the /etc/rc2.d/S72inetsvc script.

This is what I did, and I'm now able to use hme0 and le0 with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back