Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.ldb LOCK OUT...HELP ME !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a '97 Access database that both 97 and 2K users are using. something happened and now I cannot make changes to the database. The .ldb file will not go away even when all have left the database.

I cleared the file in hopes it would help but it did not. How do I get back access to be able to change my database? Please help I have a deadline of tomorrow for some of my modifications!

Thanx

the .ldb is there because some process is still hanging around and not finished. If you have any code where you open some function, be a recordsets or email or some export/import type functions. make sure that they are closed off. Close the functions and kill the variables as below...

set variable=nothing
dbs.close

hth
Bastien

There are many ways to skin this cat,
but it still tastes like chicken

Have someone on the network side of the house delete the connections to the database as well as to the ldb file. They can do this by going into file locks/connections and delete all connections to the ldb file. Be sure to make sure everyone, yourself included, are out of the database. In addition, get the netware admin to check on the record locks per connection particularly if you all are running Netware 4.x. Lastly, if nothing else work everyone must turn off their computers for about 15 minutes to release the internal lock (ldb file)

The database is on a share so if everyone closes out of the database for the 15 min will it still reset or will the share need to be down for 15 min.? (that would not be an option)

I have had EXACTLY the same problem happen to me.

Use LDB Viewer (free download from Microsoft under Jet Utilities) to see who the DB thinks is still in the DB.

Next (and I am only familiar with Windows NT and 98) see who is connected with the server (a superuser or admin will have to do that, or use the Netwatcher function under W98 - programs/accessories/system tools) and remove all users who are using/were using that DB - warn the users first.

This SHOULD free up the ldb - how many users on this server? Easiest option if not many, and server is small, is a re-boot!!

Please post back and let me know how you got on.

Tony

I went into the .ldb and cleared the entire log.
Then I re-opened the database. One other person open it as well. After we both exited the .ldb removed itself.

I am not sure if it did not fix itself, but for the time being I will take credit for the fix.

Thanx all for the help.

I went into the .ldb and cleared the entire log.
Then I re-opened the database. One other person open it as well. After we both exited the .ldb removed itself.

I am not sure if it did not fix itself, but for the time being I will take credit for the fix.

Thanx all for the help.

I have a related problem (I think???). I did a hyperlink from Pwr Pt to open an mdb file from Pwr Pt, for a demo. Ever since, even if Pwr Pt is closed and link broken, I cannot open the mdb file directly (I can open it through th Pwr Pt link). Pwr Pt seems to have triggered a lock. Where do I look for that (or fix it?). Any help much appreciated.

JDTTEK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back