Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LDB Files do not close when Access quits unexpectedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidonie

Instructor
Oct 2, 2001
AU
I am currently doing some development work with a split database. I am working in the front end reformatting forms etc and Access quits unexpectedly (constantly) often not saving the changes I make to the form I was working on. I have had to export the form to a blank database, make my changes and then send it back to overwrite the original form in my working database, to get anything done at all.

When I look in Explorer, the LDB files for both the front end and the tables databases are still open, even though the databases are not. I have used Access to compact and repair and that does not fix my problem. I have also used JetComp to compact and repair and that does not work either. I have even tried exporting my tables, forms, queries and macros to two new database files and I am still having the same problem. Why is this happening?????

>Why is this happening?????

I'm not sure which problem you're referring to: the crashing or the ldbs.

The ldbs disappear when Access closes normally. If they are left due to a crash it really doesn't matter as they will get overwritten on the next startup. That 'problem' is benign.

As far as your crashing I'm interested in discussing this as I have been having a similar (maybe the same) problem on one of my development machines. Lets see if we can find a common thread. I'm running on Win2K Professional with Office 2K Pro and the corresponding Office developer. I have numerous other applications and tools installed. However; when it got so bad that I was desperate (at times I couldn't keep an Access database running for more than a few seconds) I reformatted my machine and started from scratch (on the assumption that I was having conflict problems with other software). All was fine until I installed Office developer. Then I started having the problems again (although not as badly as in the past). It could be that one of the addins is causing a conflict. Let me know if you share this configuration. If not perhaps there is some other common thread.
"The Key, The Whole Key, and Nothing But The Key, So Help Me Codd!"

I've had this same problem. My fix to it all was to delete the lbd and then rename my database so it creates another ldb. It works if you don't do anymore designing, just using. the DB this happened to me on is still working fine without any problems.

Alan

930Driver,

I'm afraid I have very little of the same stuff you have on your machine. I run with Win2000 and Office2000. My problem is very intermittent and today it seems to be accepting changes I make to my forms very well (no crashes yet, touch wood). Other days, I have had to quit in disgust.

I am a pretty much self taught developer and it is my lack of knowledge that lead me to believe the open LDB files were causing my problem. Nice to know that's another issue entirely!!!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you in finding out why this happens in the first place. Next time this occurs though I will do as suggested by PMrider and see if I can have the same success!

Cheers
SID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back