Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lazy load image

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP81

Programmer
Apr 11, 2003
AU
Hi,

I have two identical sets of images: the first set is 80x80 pixels, the second set is 320x320 pixels.

What I want to do is display a thumbnail image (80x80), then when you click on the thumbnail, it loads the large image (320x320) in another container on the page.

If I use the 320x320 images as thumbnails (display them sized as 80x80), this works well because they are already cached once the page has loaded. However, if I use the 80x80 as thumbnails, when I load the click the image and try to load the 320x320, I end up with no image. If I click a second time, the image appears as it has completed loading.

I have got this working using Ajax, but would rather do it without using Ajax (as I have been told not to).

Anyone have any idea how to do this? I am guessing that I could display an animated gif whilst doing a loop in the background to check if the image has loaded.

By the way, I can't use lightbox or any other JS framework. Very restrictive!

Why not use a feature that's been in HTML for a very long time - set the 'lowsrc' attribute of the IMG to load the 80x80, and the 'src' attribute to load the 320x320.

That way, the image is pre-cached, although users will still be downloading the 320x320 even if they don't click on the thumbnail...

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Sounds good, but that was what I was trying to avoid. I only want to load the 320x320 image when clicked (as the page is quite dynamic with a lot of content).

Thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back