Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Layout with tables question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaviooooo

Programmer
Feb 24, 2003
FR
Hi,

I have a question regarding the layout of my website.

Currently I'm using frames, but I'm having problems with this. When you look at the website in a lower resolution then mine, or when you open the site in a non-maximized window, it just seems to get crooked and looks terrible.

That's why I'm thinking of completely revamping it, using tables instead of the frames.
For example I would create a table with 3 columns, in the left 1 I would put my buttons with links that would open in the second column. On the right there would be some general overview (it's a soccer site, so the league standings could go there)

Now my question:

If I decide to go this way, I would have to create every page in this manner I guess? All pages would have the same table layout, with the left and right column exactly the same and the actual info in the center column?

Now what happens if I decide to add a column on the left? I would need to alter each and every page so that the left column is the same again?

How would you experts handle this?

Thanks in advance

Probably the most effective tool for layout is CSS. Have a look at:

You can apply a single CSS file to one, many or all of the pages on your site. Any changes to the CSS will affect all the pages that it applies to.

See also thread215-1085184

Always start with a template.
Make your layout the way you want it to be and save it as a template. Then start every new page from this template. If you decide to change something on your template e.g. add a button to the menu every page (based on this template) is automaticly adjusted.
My site is completely based on tables and i use 2 templates to create each page.
you can visit it at (it's in dutch)

Greetz,
Mark

Mark, I'm gonna go with your solution. Templates seem to give me just the effect I need, and while CSS seems like a very powerfull way to create webpages, it just looks a bit too complex for me.

Thanks and have a star :)

PS: No problem that the site was in Dutch, I'm from Belgium ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back