Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

layout and freakin help with netscape 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

deecee

Technical User
Aug 25, 2001
US
user: tek
pass: tips

Ive been working on this site for about a year now and it keeps changing. most of the site is still unfinished but the primary layout i made about 4-6 months ago. you will notice on the left menu in netscape is it slightly out of whack. it doesnt really bother me and noone has said anything, but from an aesthetics point of view i would like it to look like IE. The expected demographics for users of the site are people on company intranets with high speed and fairly modern cpus (about 2 years old at most). so screen resolution i expect is 1024. any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated but i will have to disable this user and pass before i leave for vacation this weekend.

So :/ i guess any help today would be useful for me when i get back. This site is supposed to be finished mid to lagte august but i have to upload 400 items into a dbase and format the images and...i try not to think about it.

<signature>
sometime you just gotta say &quot;WHAT THE @#*% !!&quot;
</signature>

I am finding that unless you write totally seperate pages for both browsers, or script sections of the site for specific browsers, they will never look exactly the same. Netscape users are currently very low in the demographic you are dealing with. I didn't view it, but unless it looks horrible, I personally would run with it.

Hi. I assume you mean Netscape 6 or 7. I guess the problem you talk about is text running over the next element. It looks like Netscape is rendering correctly, according to CSS specifications. In your CSS, a.menu { height:15px } forces wrapping text to extend below the element. I'd use padding instead of height to get the spacing you desire. If you need more help post in the HTML/CSS forum.

Cheers!
Petey

News and views of some obscure guy

petey you are a genius i didnt even think about that. Sunofagun thanks.

john that would be nice to do and have js redirect but i have no @#%$#@$ help and its pretty much a one man show. And the best thing is that out of all the employees no one uses NN so it was actually for me. But if i had time i would have 3 versions, one for IE, one for NN6+ and one for NN4.

WEll thanks guys, i appreciate it.

<signature>
sometime you just gotta say &quot;WHAT THE @#*% !!&quot;
</signature>

Glad it helped. Hopefully you'll be able to get by with one version of the site; the days of multiple versions for multible browsers are fast becoming history :)

petey

News and views of some obscure guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back