Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

layoff blues 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2003
US
Well it happend, our IT dept of 7 is now 2. I am not one of the two. I am having problems finding anything withen 70 miles of my home, and cant move because the wife has a stable job.

I have my MCSA, N+, A+, and Cisco Academy Certs, Spent two years as sole systems engineer of a 300 desktop and 300 phone company.

Indianapolis is only an hour and 15 minutes away, Champaign Urbana, IL is only 55 minutes away. Is it still that dry out there?

Thanks for the help, still trying to get over the shock of being let go.

-Mesa

-Mesa

"In nature, the lake evaporates to form the clouds that drop the rain which nurtures the surrounding forest. As the forest grows thick, more rain is captured for the lake. Similarly, an 'evaporation' or decrease in one area of your life, may give rise to an eventual increase. A loss of responsibility at work can mean more free time; more free time may generate more career options. A decrease in material possessions can free the spirit and fill the soul."
I Ching

This is from way, way, way left of center, but check out some self-help books, too, to help you adjust your attitude.

I read Wayne Dyer's "Real Magic" and you know what? It helped.

Good luck in your journey.

Ok layoff blues story,
After working 5 years as a telemarketing data base manager(dont say it i know). The company decided to do a major cut back and offered me a position on the phone(and i could "help out with data when needed" I said ok right up until the included a drastick cut in pay. Over the years working there i had various part time jobs, one including working in a quick shop as a casheer.
What a wierd coincedence, the IT job i found is a company that owns 40 quick shops.

Dont underestimate the value of any life experiance, we are what we do, we do what we are.

if it is to be it's up to me

I know from experience in the market, the MCSE (at least on NT 4) is worthless.

I have gotten the general impression that things are better than they were a year ago. That doesn't mean they are good. But I am moving next summer to a new city whether I have a job there or not.

Your skills, brains, and hard work may mean something when you get the job. But nobody sees those things when you are hunting for a job. They see your haircut, your handshake, and your suit and tie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back