Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Layer Position and Different Screen Resolutions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctorcroc

Technical User
May 7, 2004
CA
Okay I realize this is a common problem but Dreamweaver does not seem to provide an answer......how can I position a layer that contains an image so that it will remain in the exact same spot on the web page regardless of screen resolution or size ? (My website with layer/image looks fine at 1024 x 768, but when I switch to 800 x 600 the layer/image shifts to the right of the screen?) Someone suggested I check to ensure I've selected 'absolute positioning' in my layer properties and set everything as a CSS style (which I have) yet I still have the same problem? Surely there is a solution to this problem? (Dreamweaver does not even mention this situation anywhere on their site or in their 'online help'?!). Appreciate your replies, thanks!

Without seeing the actual results, I can only guess that you have extraneous whitespace and that you are using IE to view.

Absolute positioning used properly is exactly that - absolute.
That being said, absolute positioning is often not the answer as it can create as many problems as it solves.

Why does your image have to be in the exact place regardless of resolution?

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Traingamer...thanks for your reply. It's just that everything else on the page is fine regardless of screen size...yet the layer/image that appears centered directly above the column of text now shifts off to the right when viewing in another screen resolution...I need it to remain in the same position regardless of screen resolution. Is there a solution or do I have to redesign this page and forget about using layers? Thanks!

Don't really have enough information to properly address your question.

Are all of your layers absolutely positioned? Or are some relative? (If so, this could explain your problem). Are your layers divs or tables?

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Webpage is built the 'old' way (with tables) and there is just one small layer which contains an image. The layer is positioned 'on' or between two of the tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back