Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

layer placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

aph

Technical User
Jul 8, 2000
GB
Hi all hope you can help,
I've a site I'm working on where the client wants an java applet on the page. The design set up is:-

I've done a one frame table on a page in Dreamweaver then filled it with a Flash movie which is the main pages content. Then the applet is in a layer above this over a trasparent box in the flash movie (the applets frame if you like) the only problem is depending on what res your monitor is set at alters the position of the applet but not the Falsh movie (as this is set to top and absolute middle)

How do I set the applet to stay in the same positon above the movie back ground I've read about span but not sure how to use it.

here the code for the applet position any way

<div id=&quot;Layer1&quot; style=&quot;position:absolute; left:486px; top:112px; width:200px; height:200px; z-index:1&quot;><applet archive=&quot;AnLake.jar&quot; code=&quot;AnLake.class&quot; width=&quot;200&quot; height=&quot;200&quot;>

any help would be a great help

andy

Can you post a link to the page in question so we can take a look at it? I think because you have the alignment of the Flash movie set to Absmiddle and the applet to an absolute position that that is where your problem lies. In order for this to work the Flash Movie should be in a static position as well and not dependent on the size of the browser window.

Hope this helps.

Cullen
Graphic Artist / Web Designer
cullen@ulanji.com

Thanks for your reply
as the applet is not compatable with flash I've ended up doing the following.
adjusting the layer and the design of the page so when it opens up what ever your screen res it does not overlap the rest of the pages content under it. (Ideally I'd get rid altogether but it's what the client wanted)

I did try alterling the settings for both the SWF file and applet as you sugested but had no look. Its a pitty you cannot parent a layer to a another layer or background really (I do a lot of 3D work) which would be ideal in the situation anyway thanks for your reply

andy

Thanks for your reply
as the applet is not compatable with flash I've ended up doing the following.
adjusting the layer and the design of the page so when it opens up what ever your screen res it does not overlap the rest of the pages content under it. (Ideally I'd get rid altogether but it's what the client wanted)

I did try alterling the settings for both the SWF file and applet as you sugested but had no look. Its a pitty you cannot parent a layer to a another layer or background really (I do a lot of 3D work) which would be ideal in the situation anyway thanks for your reply

andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back