Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

layer 3 switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

sectel

Technical User
Nov 12, 2008
CA
What advantages do Routers offer over layer 3 switches other than the ability to employ different interface types such as serial, isdn atm etc.

Well I've never used VTP, so I can't really miss it.
Haven't touched much Cisco recently, but I do know it would make things much easier.

I'm building up my lab now to refresh my Cisco skills, need to renew my CCNA. I've got a bunch of older equipment. I'll start a new thread with details. I'd like some opinions on how to best set it up.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Thanks Burt,
I have been researching the Cisco IOS XR.. Looks nice! Lot's of security advancements (smaller kernel, modular code and protected memory to name a few).. One article that I read stated that Cisco will no longer have to wait for a new release to add fixes/patches... nice!

One thing however, it says that all modules can be reset by an administrator through IOS XR.. Will have to see how that is set up.. Considering the fact that it is via Cisco I imagine that they placed security first...

The new kernel and protected memory should go a long way to prevent buffer overflow attacks on IOS itself!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back