Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Launching the Wrong Browser 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

theDabster

Technical User
Dec 23, 2001
US
Folks,
I have Netscape 4.79 set as my default browser.
I subscribe to a number of daily email computer tips, etc.

Here's the problem. On a few of the email newsletters, like ZD's Anchor Desk, when
there are links to websites, if I click on them, Internet Explorer is launched. Does
anyone have an idea as to why IE and not my default browser is being activated?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

You might want to pick up one of the many free programs on the Net that will allow you to intentionally SET your Windows Default Browser.

One place to try is:
The NoNags Freeware web site.

Under System / Misc. Utilities
look for the program - SetBrowser

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

The Favorite short cuts were created with IE, if you replace the IE short cuts with Netscape short cuts, this will open them with Netscape. "More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

Thanks for the replies. I'm sorry that I forgot to include that I use Eudora Pro 5.1 as my email client. That bit of info may or may not have been useful. Thanks JRB for the tip on "setbrowser" from nonags. As many times as I've frequented that site I'm surprised that I haven't tripped over that program. I tried it and will keep the program, but it didn't "solve" the problem.

However, I did some fiddling around with Eudora and discovered that if I RIGHT click the link (on the emails that would open IE instead of Netscape) and choose the "Send to Browser" option then Netscape is opened. Why this should work while just clicking the link won't doesn't make sense to me, but then a bunch about computing sometimes doesn't make sense. Any idea(s) on why this would happen?

As far as Sly979's point, no offense, but I don't set any "Favorites" with IE. I basically use IE to go to MS's Upgrade site since you can't use Netscape, but I do truly appreciate your desire to help.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back