Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Launching external MSI installation before main installation is finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiseNewbie

Programmer
Jan 9, 2004
AU
Hi *again*

I've been looking at splitting up our help documentation from our main application so we can sendout updates to it seperately, we were wondering how to achieve(if possible) the idea of having a user option(say a checkbox in the last dialog before installation begins) that asks whether to install documentation or not and after the main installation completes execute another MSI file located in the same directory to install the documentation (while the main installer is in the background)... I think what we want is something like the Catalyst driver installation - Main driver, then WDM, then Control Panel etc.

Thanks!

I may not understand the question completely, but can't you just compile the Manual Setup to an .exe file and then just run that EXE from your current installation if the user said "yes"??

well we're using VB here, and we thought we may as well use WISE Script to handle this scenario. If theres no alternative we may get another developer to write up a small VC++ app to handle it i guess..

Wise Script can handle what you need to do... I think.

At my office, we use Wise For Windows Installer and Wise Install Master. WFWI has very little or no scripting capabilities, however if you have another Wise program that can write scripts (like Install Master for example) then all you need to do is write the script in InstallMaster, save it, compile it to an .exe and tell you set up (writing in WFWI) to run the exe of the script durring the setup.

You can even pass the Script exe the /s command line to make it run silently so the end user never knows that a seperate program is being executed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back