Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

launching a cgi script into IIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

php

Programmer
Jun 6, 2000
FR
I try to launch a cgi script from an asp page ,
and i get this error message :
405 Method Not Allowed

The method specified in the Request Line is not allowed for the resource identified by the request. Please ensure that you have the proper MIME type set up for the resource you are requesting.

As if i didn't have the right to execute the cgi script.

The configuration on this file is :
everyone : Full Control
IUSR_myservername : Full Control
and it is the same with each parent folder

I tried to add a new cgi Mime Type into IIS without success

Any idea would be very helpful !

Thanks

InternetOverlord is correct. It is not an issue of permissions, but the fact that that directory is not allowed, by default, to run executables. Switch this feature on with the first tab that comes up when you view the properties of your site in Internet Services Manager.

thanks for your answers,

the fact is :
if i allow the execution of scripts (in IIS),
the users won't be able to download the patches and demo
that are on this site , because these files (.exe) will be run on the server .
I get the same problem if i create virtual folders with different IIS parameters .
I've allready tryed it ...
strange ?

any idea to fix this problem ?

thanks again,

best regards

Philippe Peeters

Don't set the script executable permissions for the whole site, just the directories that the cgi scripts are in. Put the .exe files in a different folder, and all will be well. The other option is to put the .exe files in a zip file, but that is not really a solution just a work around. For security's sake also, make sure that the permissions are only on the cgi-bin or similar folder, otherwise you are leaving yourself more open to attacks than you need to be.

Hi cckrocks

I did all this allready , but the cgi script doesn't
launch.

The fact is that on a test server with all exe permsssions ,
from the root directory , it does work.

Did i miss something ?

Thanks again

Philippe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor