Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Latteral Thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairlessupportmonkey

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2009
NZ
This was told to me yesterday and I was the only one that got it ;-)

A man lives on the 20th floor of his apartment building and every morning he gets in the lift, presses the button for the ground floor and goes to work.

In the evening, he gets in the lift and gets off at the 10th floor and walks to his 20th floor apartment. If however someone who lived on the 14th floor was already in the lift, he would alight the lift and walk from the 14th floor to his apartment.

Why does he do this?

Feel free to ask questions and hide your answer if you know it :)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

[hide]He is only tall enough to reach the 10th floor button[/hide]

Aspiring to mediocrity since 1957

Cancel that. If that was the case he couls ask the 14th floor person to press 20.

I'll think again.

Aspiring to mediocrity since 1957

I ask that we please keep posts topical for this forum. The STC forum is far more suitable for this type of riddle. Thanks.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Besides, the subject is incorrect. Shouldn't it be "Vertical Thinking"? ;-)

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

@Annihilannic - Short answer... Yes

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

The way I originally heard this one, on rainy days he would take the elevator all the way to the 20th floor.

Because he was carrying an umbrella and could reach all of the buttons.

The last time I heard the joke it was a school kid not a man. On Fridays she would be able to go up 6 more floors by standing on the extra book she brought home to study out of.

Hairless said:
A man lives on the 20th floor...

Roamer said:
On Fridays she would be able to go up 6 more floors by standing on the extra book she brought home to study out of.

So on which floor did s/he get the sex change?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

annihilannic said:
Besides, the subject is incorrect. Shouldn't it be "Vertical Thinking"?

That's better than latteral (anyone care to define this?) which seems to be a common misspelling of lateral.

Maybe it should be "Literal Thinking", since puzzles like this are often based on people making assumptions beyond the actual description.

Damn, how did that extra 't' get in there! It's a conspiracy!

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

@hairlesssupportmonkey,

So it turns out that this puzzle was appropriate for this forum all along. You missed your chance to say the spelling mistake was the real puzzle all along.

You may have set a record for the longest unchallenged mistake.

(I didn't notice)

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

I've spent a lot of time on the beach, mulling over things. I'd call that littoral thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back