Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Latest Windows XP update crashes my VB apps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrthoDocSoft

Programmer
May 7, 2004
US
Has anyone noticed the nasty error messages "Object library not loaded" or some such lately, after updating Windows XP?

I had to re-install my whole hard disk which I had luckily copied a couple weeks ago which fixed the problem. Then windows "updated" and the problem returned! Arrrgggghhh!

Did a system restore to a point before the update and the problem went away. I've since set my updates to "notify, but don't automatically update..." and I suspect I cannot update ever again...

Any thoughts?

Ortho

[lookaround] "you cain't fix 'stupid'...

HughLerwill posted this in a similar post at this time, and I am reposting it as a solution to my problem. It worked perfectly, even if it is "going around your butt to get to your elbow...."

32 Bit Windows
1. Unregister the new OCX file. Open an instance of the Windows Command Prompt, paste the following command, and press <Enter>:
Regsvr32.exe /u C:\Windows\System32\MSCOMCTL.OCX
2. Make a backup of the OCX file C:\Windows\System32\MSCOMCTL.OCX to

C:\Windows\System32\MSCOMCTL.bak
3. Copy a legacy version of the MSCOMCTL.OCX file to your C:\Windows\System32 folder. For your convenience, a zipped copy from 2011 is here. (I downloaded this to C:\Downloads, MCC)
4. Register this legacy OCX file with the following command:
Regsvr32.exe C:\Windows\System32\MSCOMCTL.OCX
5. Unregister this legacy version of the OCX file:
Regsvr32.exe /u C:\Windows\System32\MSCOMCTL.OCX
6. Delete the legacy OCX file: C:\Windows\System32\MSCOMCTL.OCX
7. Rename the new OCX file we renamed in step 2, back to its original name:
C:\Windows\System32\MSCOMCTL.bak to C:\Windows\System32\MSCOMCTL.OCX
8. Re-register the new version of the OCX file. Paste the following command and press <Enter>:
Regsvr32.exe C:\Windows\System32\MSCOMCTL.OCX
9. Reboot the computer.
10. Open Microsoft Access and then retest the control. It should be working at this point.

Ortho

Er,

It was dillatente who posted that....

Ortho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back