Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Latest version of PCL Paraphernalia 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael.Knigge

Programmer
Dec 4, 2018
DE
All,

the web-site is down since several weeks and I guess it will never come again. Does anyone of you have the (probably) latest version of this tool? I also remembered that the source code was available for download - I'm also interested in the source code. IMHO this valuable tool must not go away so I'd like to put it somewhere for public download (and the source code on GitHub)...

So if anyone can provide me the files - I've sadly lost my copies....

Bye & thanks,
Michael

Michael,

I grabbed Version 3.2.1.0 (April 21, 2018 creation date), which I believe is the last one Chris released before he passed away. I'd be happy to send you a .zip of it. If Jim decides it's OK to attach it here, I will. Otherwise I won't.

I, too, had intended to get the source code, but by the time I thought of it, Chris had passed and the website was no more. Unfortunately, the last time I checked the Wayback machine it had only earlier versions, even though it shows a link to 3.2.1.0 and the source code.

A couple of months ago Chris' son, Dan Hutchinson, posted to the HP forum that his dad had passed (i.e. - DansDadUK). I don't have the son's contact info, but if someone can find it, perhaps a request can be made to him.

Before Chris' death, he and I had been working within the HP Forum to understand better the 'pclResourceFile' as it relates to downloaded fonts in flash dimm/simm and hard drives attached to HP PCL printers, in conjunction with Web JetAdmin.

I finally figured out what was going on, wrote a short tech paper on it, posted the info and then waited for Chris to give me an 'atta boy'. I was too late. :(

Hugh,

I have no skin in the game whatsoever.

Chris sent me an email on May 1, 2018 telling me of his illness and that he planned on a maintenance release of 3.2.1.0 in the next few days, and that the website would probably disappear in July. Apparently, there was some issue that the company hosting the site wouldn't accept advance payment for the site renewal. His brother informed me that Chris had passed, but that was via Chris' email address so I have no contact info.

Jim Asman

I reached out to Chris' son tonight, and will pass on whether he can assist in preserving his father's wonderful PCL utility (PCL Paraphernalia) along with its source code, and also whether he feels comfortable giving permission for those works to be freely distributed (with attribution, of course).

Hugh, this sounds great! Thank you for your help!

In the meantime, I also found version 3.2.10 somewhere on my hard drive again... So thank you all guys for your offer to send me this version!

So... I hope that Chris' son can provide us with the source code so we can go ahead and make this great tool available for the community... I'd love to see it on github (I can bring it there if no one else wants to), together with the binary of the latest version....

Again.... thank you all and esp. Hugh for your time to care....

Bye,
Michael

Hugh,

do you have the latest installer or just the ZIP-File? A few days ago I've built a installer on my own (I found just the ZIP on my hard drive) - and then I've remembered that there was an installer available on web-site....

If you have the original installer/setup, it would be great if you would send it to me.... My E-Mail address is my TekTips user name "at" the domain gmx.de. If you don't have it I would release my installer on GitHub....

Thanks,
Michael

Michael,

First off, I haven't heard back from Chris' son. I'll attempt again after the 1st of the year.

As to your questions -- I've got a 'setup.exe' dated 05/29/2018 (783 kB). I'll be happy to send it that is what you are looking for.

In addition to the .zip for the application itself, which I know you already have, I also have the .zip for the help file 'pclparaphernalia.chm', which is also dated 05/29/2018.

Again, I can send it too, if it will help.

Thanks for putting Chris' work up. It is too good to be lost, and I doubt another PCL utility of its quality will ever be written again.

Hugh Hood

Hugh,

yes, please sent "all you have" to me. I "only" have the executable and help files already decompressed (so I don't know if I have anything that has been released by Chris)....

Thank you,
Michael

All,

I've set up a GitHub repository for the latest version of PCL Paraphernalia. The repository contains the latest ZIPs released by Chris. I still hope that Chris' son is able to provide us with the source code so I can also upload the source code to my repository.

The latest version is now available at

Bye,
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back