Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

latest laptop for xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

dooner62

Technical User
Apr 6, 2009
CA
i need to buy a laptop that HAS to run win xp. all of the latest laptops have hardware requiring windows 7 drivers. Does anyone know the latest laptop released that runs win xp or can have win xp loaded on with no driver problems?

Try searching for +laptop +"windows XP" - plenty of hits.

If you are in the UK, Curry's are selling some refurbished laptops with XP.

Is Virtualization an option? You can buy a Windows 7 laptop, and run whatever you need in a XP Mode.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

The XP ship has sailed. Time to start dragging yourself into the future. If not now then soon. Why? Because drivers won't be available for NEW hardware forever.

Used/Refurb or XP Mode as stated. You won't be able to buy a new machine from an OEM with XP on it at this point. Microsoft doesn't allow that at this point.

Last fully compatible machine (except for some difficulty with SATA drivers) was a Packard Bell dot SE netbook (January 2011) - came with Win7Starter, now multibooting to XP Pro and Linux Mint too. Great battery life, and ultraportable, with a better keyboard than my Acer Aspire laptop.

Thinking of replacing Windows 7 Starter with a home-rolled Windows Embedded Standard 7 SP1 thin client - does almost everything that 7 Ultimate can do except play solitaire and chess.

Find a model that suits then go onto the driver support page for that manufacturer and product to see if XP is supported.
I'm guessing the bigger names will have the best driver support ie: HP, Lenovo, Acer, Samsung, Sony.
Even if it comes with W7 some will have XP support...it will just take time to sort it.

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

That's very true. Just make sure all the items are crossed off in terms of drivers: video, network (wired and wireless), sound, etc. I guess I can't imagine a laptop having an XP driver section on the support site and NOT having ALL the drivers there, but just be careful.

I would almost rather get a late model used machine, throw in a new hard drive and you're almost as good as new.

dooner62,

Any particular reason it has to be XP? Is it preference, or some requirement by some piece of software and/or piece of hardware you're connecting to?

The reason I ask is that there may be better ways 'round your situation than flat avoiding the newer OSes altogether.

I have a Lenovo t400 that came with windows 7, but the company made us put XP on it, and it has all the drivers. Runs OK, but I would rather have Windows 7 or Linux.

Dell used to ship with XP as an option. It may still be an option but you have to ring them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back