Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

latency when only logging into published desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

thalo1234

Technical User
Jul 19, 2002
US
Let me explain the setup. My work has five servers: New Compaq 1.2ghz, Win2000 with latest patches, and citrix XP with latest release pack. One of the servers has the load balance while the other four servers have the applications loaded. The users are on terminals that log into a published desktop through ICA connection on the terminal. The users also have redirected folders. The problem is when 60 users log in at the same time it causes latency and the "Loading personal settings" pop-up stays for ten minutes until the user finally gets through. This latency only happens at log in. I cannot find any resource errors on the server end. How can the procees of logging in speed up and what could cause this? Is there a problem with load balancing or is it redirected folders that cause a delay? Has anyone had this problem? I will give more information if needed.

How big are the user profiles?

You can find this out by right-clicking My Computer and navigating to the User Profiles tab. If they're significantly bigger than 1Mb, then they're too big.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Could it be the profile if most profiles are about 1.2MB and are roaming. There are some profiles that are local that should be roaming. Also the users have tight policices set and they are mapped to printers by a kix login script.

The problem is still happening Can anyone help???

Hi,

Disable all the remapping that you can get away with, audio and port.

I've noticed that if you disable printer remapping, that increases login speed no end, can you do this? Or can you do this on 1 or 2 users to test it?

Again check the profile size, if it's big, and it's due to Internet Explorer, reduce the cache size down to 1Mb per user plus, don't save directories that you don't have to!

Cheers,
Carl.

Hi, Ivé got the same problem for a while now, i have tried with RDP to but the problem remains.
My profiles are about 800K so they wont cause the problem.
First i thought that FR2 have something to do whith it, but i dont know.....

Your profile sizes look fine. If the problem remains with RDP, then the problem may lie outside of the Citrix farm. Does anything in the Event log give any clues? I might expect to see Remote Procedure Call errors or similar.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Hi All,

I have seen this problem so many times it is not funny...

Open performance monitor on one of the affected citrix servers and monitor...

Redirector \ CurrentCommands. This should never be above a value of 1 for each nic installed...

On your F&P server where the profiles come from open performance monitor and look at

Server \ Work Item Shortages. This should never be above 0.

If these are exceeded modify the following reg keys on the citrix server to reflect (all dwords):

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters", "MaxCmds", "255"

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters", "MaxThreads", "255"

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters", "MaxCollectionCount", "65535"

And on the F&P server to reflect (all dwords):

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters", "MaxWorkItems", "32768"

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters", "MaxMpxCt", "8192"

I personally make the changes on ALL servers in my clients networks to prevent this from ever happening.

This changes the maximum number of concurrent connections available from the citrix server to the F&P server. Microsoft limits this to 50 by default, and by using roaming profiles and folder redirection, each USER can use 8 connections. The reason it hangs for so long is the request goes into a queue to be serviced until one of the 50 free connections are availble (this change increases this limit to 32768) remember, this uses more resources on the F&P server so be sure it can cope.

Hope this helps..

Neil

Hi Neil,

That's a superb registry hack, it's speeded my login time up for the Citrix Servers, however, my Citrix Servers have a MaxWorkItems of 53248 and that's what the system has set up - for what it's worth!!

I have made your changes to my F&P server but am waiting to reboot it to see how much it may or may not improve profile logins.

Thanks for your input,
Carl.

I forgot to add, if you have any Windows 98 clients, you may need to watch how high you go with the F&P server settings, if this is so, reply to this message..

N

Be very careful with MaxWorkItems settings, as they can have nasty side-effects on Win 9x clients.

This is what I would have suggested next - I have posted on this subject many times.

HTH CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Hi,

I've only set them on my Citrix servers not the app server but it's not made any difference as I've check on a couple of other PC's in our building and the login times are the same!

Cheers,
Carl.

Thank You for all the support I am in the process of trying each and every fix. Your input is greatly appreciated. I will let you friends know if anything works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back