Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Last Week CCNA Switching Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chigy

Technical User
Jul 29, 2007
GB

Team - have been loging to this site since I failed to recertify CCNA last week. A lot has changed!

I stumbled on the lab I got in the exam on one of the TestKing PDFs. I have some of the quetions, below, and I dont know what show commands to run on the swich to get the answers.

I had access to the console to one switch only:
LAB DESCRIPTION:
There are 4 switches in a partial mash. Sw-AC3 has the console. It is connected to VLan-R1 which has 4 vlan sub-if desfined Vlan-R1 connect to this SW only. To there is another Router through other switches then connected to ISP. Immediate neighbors are two switches, and this Vlan-R1.

1. What ports on Sw-AC3 are operating as trunks? (Select three.)

2. Which switch is the root bridge for VLAN 1?

3. From which switch did Sw-AC3 receive the VLAN information?

4. Out of which port on Sw-Ac3 would a frame containing an IP packet with a destination address that is not on a local LAN be forwarded?

I am currently taking a course on Cisco ASA and PIX devices. I asked my instructor (CCNP and two other Cisco certs) about this question. He has seen this question and knew exactly what I was talking about. He said this is a Cisco "stump" question. He said the question is not scored as there is no way to answer the question correctly. He stated there are a few of these in every exam designed to "throw you off".

Can anyone confirm this?

Thought I would throw that out there.

Rick

DigitalRick,

Yes, that is correct that there was no option for 'flood out all ports'. It had 7 different specific ports listed. One was the port that frame came in on and one was a port that had nothing connected to it (as shown by a 'show interface' command). This left 5 ports that all seemed like valid answers. The only thing I can think of is that I could have determined which VLAN the source was on and eliminate ports that had hosts on different VLANs. This may have left me with 3 valid answers. I thought that it was a unicast and that it would go out to other VLANs as well, but maybe it was a broadcast, which would have been limited to the VLAN that the source was on.

DigitalRick,

You said - "He said this is a Cisco "stump" question. He said the question is not scored as there is no way to answer the question correctly. He stated there are a few of these in every exam designed to "throw you off".

The only people who can confirm that is the people on the Cisco CCNA exam team and they ARE NOT going to say!

In talking with these people at a Cisco Networkers convention it does stand to reason that Cisco would do that! They did confirm that they "test" questions ALL THE TIME !

I have read lots of stuff on certification testing and there is a ton of stuff that can be learned based on what questions a person gets right and which questions a person gets wrong as well as what wrong answers they pick.

I even saw a study that said that in many cases they can tell if someone is cheating or using something like a Testking based on the % of right and wrong answers in different areas.

If anyone is looking in detail at test results - I know it would be Cisco :) I base this on the people I met at Networkers that Cisco had hired to work on the CCNA exam - all had PhDs in the areas of education and adult testing :)

Just some thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

i am studiying ccna can u any ine answer me

how to give ip add in vlan

and pc defualt gate way also

which def g/w give to pc if doing inter vlan

salikumbidi,

Welcome to Tek Tips - however - when you have a question you need to start your own post and not just add it to the end of someone elses post!

You will find you will get your questions answered much quicker that way :)

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

"GHARUS,

I too had the same issue with the same question and I too blew it. How can you find the destination MAC address.
I know for a fact I blew this entire question.

Last I knew and I could be wrong here is if you have 5 questions and you miss one of them the entire question is wrong. ie. question 49 has 5 parts and you miss one. Question 49 is listed as incorrect with no points awarded.

834 >.< so damn close."

Hehe! Yeah, close - but not as close as 847, which is what I made when I failed last week. Two measly points away. It could have been worse.

I took my CCNA last friday and got 821, and had that same question, I have a lab set up at home but only have one switch and trying to find the information they are asking for was a little tough. I know for certain I got that question wrong.

4. Out of which port on Sw-Ac3 would a frame containing an IP packet with a destination address that is not on a local LAN be forwarded?"

Remember the switch is not looking at the IP packet, only MAC addresses. If the switch is connected via a trunk to an external router-on-a-stick, the switch will forward the frame containing the IP packet to the router defined as the default gateway on the host. That should be a unicast frame. Just figure what interfaces are trunking, then use cdp to identify the router, then look at the mac-address-table to verify the mac address of the router.

One of the many concepts being tested is, "Do you know what addresses are used by the frame for forwarding?"

hey y'all, without going into too much detail, after a long journey of study and self doubt, i passed my CCNA today! Many thanx must be said to the guys/info on this list who helped with questions as posted above. I'm confident this was the sticking point for me previously and with further study and persistence appears to have paid off.
thanx again to all the great guys and info on this site.
regards
harry.

I hope you guys check the forum on the weekend. I got hammered on this same type of question on my CCNA test and I am re-taking in two days. I am not able to get Jim's answer to number 2 at the beginning of the thread to work.

>2. show spanning-tree (this will give mac address of root)
> show mac-address-table (find mac address of root and
> thiswill give you the interface)
> show cdp neighbor (this will give you the hostname
> connected to the interface above)

if the root switch is not a neighbor, i.e. 1 or more switches between the current switch and the root, I don't see how this will work. Am I missing something obvious, or is there something else I need to do to find the root when it's not "next door"? Thanks! GREAT thread, BTW - been a big help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back