Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

last time I used photoshop was version4 :-( HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

biziboy

Technical User
Oct 10, 2008
GB
hi all,

I used to be into it, then stopped. for YEARS! just getting back on it again. What are the most obvious pitfalls of the new version over the old? (if any of you can remeber back that long??)

Wow...I barely remember PS v4, but I think v4 didn't have layers. So probably the biggest issue would be all the things you can do with layers, blending modes, adjustments, masks etc. Now with CS4 release it's just amazing what you can do now. You'll have fun experimenting with all the new tools.

The biggest pitfall is price. Adobe recently implemented a 3-version-back limit for upgrades so if you want the latest Photoshop release, you are not eligible for an upgrade discount.

...photoshop is a different beast to version 4, a massive leap indeed...

...a lot of the functions in the latest version are non-destructive functions, meaning you can easily revert or modify an existing adjustment...

...you can import video, 3d meshes, vector objects as smart objects and edit thme on the fly in illustrator, create vector masks, automatically create stitched panoramic images into a single image, use actions to do repetitive tasks to vast numbers of images...

...the list goes on really...

...sure, it is a pricey program, but the technology involved in this program is simply staggering and worthy of the price tag in my view...

...don't however expect to run creative suite on a computer that is lacking in speed or memory, as it seems with each new major release of the creative suite you also need to upgrade your computer (to an entirely new one most probably)...

...future proofing your desktop computer is pretty important if you want to keep in touch with all the enhancements that are always just around the corner...

Andrew

I have to agree with Pixelchik I believe it was 5.0 that introduced (layers) and I was in Heaven.

In my estimation, Layers was the first GIANT leap.

If you can at least get to 7.0 you will be relatively up-to-date and the price should be much less.

CS is pricey but if you can afford it, it's super (and WILL take you years to discover all it can do)!!

Good Luck

sam

hey all, thanks for the info... so it really does seem I need to start again... layers? I get the concept but never used them.

So a couple more questions...

whats the cheapest way of getting hold of it?

Should I go to college/get some online training?

Layers appeared in version 3.

Here's a history of what has been added over the years...

Without knowing what kind of work will be involved, I'd suggest looking at and comparing all your options to move into the 20th century: GIMP (free), Photoshop Elements, Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Lightroom, among many other good apps...

I keep up to date on Photoshop but the majority of the work I do probably could have been done in version 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back