Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

last straw with hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
hello,
I've tried just about everything. Whats happening is that I have windows 2000 Pro. When I start my system, the system does the memory test, and identifies the hard drive, cd rom, and so on. After this, the hard drive takes over and starets windows 2000. It gets to the starting screen showing that windows is loading. About three quarters of the way through, a blue screen comes on that says:

0x00000050(0xC2133298,0x00000000,0xBFF3AC66,0x00000000)
Address BFF3AC66 base at BFEF10000, DateStamp 391963da- NTFS.sys.

It says at the end," NTFS.sys" but I have a FAT32 setup. I This screen keeps coming up no matter what. I have reinstalled windows many times but cannot format the hard drive because I have vital business files that I did not get to back up before this started happening. Ive searched this error message on the web adn got some results and tried them but they didnt help my system. I hope someone has some advice that they can give

thanks

kannan

the only fix will be to format the hard drive. what you may also be able to do is install windows 2000 onto another hard drive, and use the "broken" one as a slave, and you may be able to recover some of the files from it. GOOD LUCK

There is probably a fix other than simply formatting the drive, although I don't know what it is. Have you tried the other start up option? Does it load in safe mode? If none of these things work then you should be able to access your files with a DOS boot disk if you file system truly is FAT. Once you have your important files backed up then you can try other repair options.

This error could be caused by bad memory or a corrupted hard drive. Try booting to a floppy disk and running scandisk.

See the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more info:

Look under the heading:

Stop 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Hope this helps. Good luck.

John

I have tried a new hard drive as the master and the one that isn't working as the slave, and during bootup, th system recognizes both. When I enter windows on the new hard drive, my other hard drive is nowhere to be found. I do not know what to do, I know fomatting is a possible fix, but I'm trying everything possible to not destroy the information currently on it, if it is still possible. Also, i found that it is a NTFS system.

Try running scandisk on the problem drive and see what it says.

YOu can also try fdisk and view the partition information on that drive. You may have a corrupted partition. But be careful with fdisk, read the prompts very carefully......

If the partition shows up as damaged, or anything other then fat32, then there is a problem and the only solution is to repartion and format the drive....

Troy Williams B.Eng.
fenris@hotmail.com

Which version of windows is on the drive you are booting from? If it isn't Win2000 then you won't be able to read the NTFS partition on the drive in question. If it is Win2k then either the partition is gone bad or the drive has. Anyway, if you can't find an OS to read the file system then I don't think you have many options. Inexpensive options that is.

I agree with osuman; it sounds like you've tried to used a win98 as a master drive and an NTFS drive as the slave. Win 98 couldn't read the drive, so it didn't show up. (just guessing)

Make sure you use win2k for the primary drive, it should be able to read everything. If it doesn't, you might be stuck.
Unless you want to send out the drive to someone to try to recover the data ($$$$$)

Dunno how your fat32 setup turned into an NTFS drive though.....

Hope you get this worked out

Shipmate

I've tried using a working win2000 hard drive as a master and the faulty one as the slave. Te slave shows up in the intial startup but in windows 2000, that hard drive does not show up at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back