Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Last Baseline Save Date 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoarinDave

Programmer
Apr 29, 2006
US
I have been writing VB macros for MSP 2003, I need to be able to access that last date the baseline was saved. You can see it when you go to tools->tracking->save baseline. I have looked all over the data structure but have not been able to locate this date. Does anyone know how to find it or how I can access it.

For others, the schema (or as much of it as MS has chosen to reveal) is in PJDB.HTM or PJSVRDB.HTM for Project or Project Server schemas.

The files are on the distribution CD. After an installation you should find PRDB.HTM in c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\{language code} -- on my machine that's 1033

Even then, much of the schema is not exposed in the object model.

I believe that the information you are looking for is not exposed.

One additional comment:

The baseline date (which is displayed when you click on Tools | Tracking | Save Baseline ...) shows the date the last baseline was made. That may not be the date you want.

If you add a task to the project and perform a baseline on that task only, the date displayed is the date that the baseline was created for that task -- it is not the date on which the entire project was baselined.

If you are using baselines (it's amazing how many don't) then -- especially if you are adding tasks as the project progresses -- you should periodically display the Baseline Start column. If it shows NA for a task then that task has probably not been baselined. Be aware: this field can be edited and, if cleared, displays "NA". So ... if you are being particularly thorough you'll probably also want to check Baseline Finish/Cost/Duration/Work to see if any anomalies appear.

Thanks for the insight, but the date I need is the last time the Baseline was updated. We use that as a check against the last "approved" project change to make sure project managers are not accidentally making changes they should not. Was hoping I could "snag" that date as a red flag. I just want to know when the last time Baseline or any of the baseline hold areas was updated. Does anyone know of a function call I can use to get it, since it it not open in the data structure?

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I have exactly the same issue - I need to establish the date when the Baseline Finish date (for example) for any task was last modified.

Thanks

Annelies

The schema itself is not exposed, but I did find a hidden function that will return the last time the baseline was saved or updated. It took alot of digging but I found it. The function
expression .BaselineSavedDate(Baseline)

expression Required. An expression that returns a Project object.

Baseline Required Long. Can be one of the following PjBaselines constants: pjBaseline, pjBaseline1, pjBaseline2, pjBaseline3, pjBaseline4, pjBaseline5, pjBaseline6, pjBaseline7, pjBaseline8, pjBaseline9, or pjBaseline10.

It is a hidden function. I hope this helps anyone else looking for this type of information.

Nicely done! (Star on the way to you.)

Remember, though, my caveat above: the date is the date when any part of the project (including a single task) was baselined. If you baselined the entire project on Monday and then, on Tuesday, baselined a single new task (or, perhaps, rebaselined a single existing task) the date returned will be Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back